Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

leather splitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leather splitting
    Posted: June 01 2006 at 2:38pm
I have a huge leather that is starting to split.  it's probably about 8-10 inches across.  I have a couple of questions, first is it best to let it split on it's one and wait for it to completely seperate, or take it out and make it two on my own?  And second, is there a way to help prevent it from splitting in the future?  I really like having one big leather but it started growning into some other corals for I fragged a couple of small pieces off of it.  Could this have provided enough stress for it to split, or can/does it split for no particular reason? 
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 2:59pm
I have a leather coral the splits regularly for me, and it has been doing this for the last 2 years.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 3:02pm
do you let it split on it's own, or do you help it at all?  I would just like my huge leather, to stay huge.....
Amber
29 gallon reef
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 3:03pm
It splits on its own.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
gary-patti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary-patti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 10:38pm
Tongue
Are you willing to part with one half & what color is it?
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 11:02pm
it's a yellowish tan, and I will be selling/trading the smaller of the two (it will still be about 5-6 inches in diameter.  Here's a pic before it started splitting.

Amber
29 gallon reef
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 10:21am

Amber, where did you pickup that leather?  It looks like one of mine.  I have sold it to several club members and Fish-4-U.  The only difference is that mine produces a longer polyp extension under my lighting/tank conditions.

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 11:54am

I think that some species of leather split, when they are smaller and some will grow to enormous sizes.  I have many types of leather and I have some that will grow as large as I let them and others that only stay relatively small.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 12:13pm
I got my tank set up and it came with it.  It usually extends it's polyps another .5 inch or so, so it could be from the same coral Thumbs Up
Amber
29 gallon reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic