Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Night out on the Reef

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Night out on the Reef
    Posted: November 14 2003 at 6:49am
Well, last night was a very interesting night for my reef tank. I was up late doing homework and then around 12:30 I went to add bionic to my tank before I went to bed. Of coarse if I am going to be near my tank then I better get a flash light and do some looking into my tanks night life.

The first cool thing I saw was a slug thing that I had seen about 2 weeks back. I have no clue what it is. It looks exactly like a big brown slug and seems to have an internal shell. So that was cool. As I was prusing farther I noticed one of my nasurus snails acting really weird. He was on the top of a rock standing as high as he could in the air. Then I noticed the other nasurus snail really close and when they becaue too close the one would raise up so only the back of his foot was on the ground and he would swing back and forth. I don't know exactly what was going on but it sure was funny.

As I was watching my nasurus snails go crazy I suddenly noticed this worm just come wiggling across my live rock. It was probably 4 inches long and maybe a centemeter wide at its widest point. Just a long, flat, yellowish/tannish worm crawling across the top of my live rock.   

So, I thought it was a very interesting night and that I would share.

If anyone has any idea what the worm or the slug are let me know.

Anyone else see anything cool on there reef recently?
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2003 at 8:22am
Does the 'slug' your talking about have a flat shell? If so then I'd say its probably a Stomatella snail. I have hundreds of them in my tank, I'm not sure where they came from thoughbut they are everywhere in my tank. I've just recently notices worms in my tank also. I have alot of those also and they are rather large.
Mike
Layton, Ut.
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2003 at 8:42am
The slug doesn't have an outer shell. It is a dark muddy brown and looks like a slug (has a form of a shell but it is completly covered by skin or what ever you call it). The part that looks like a shell doesn't look flat but rounded over the slug body, much like a slug. Hmm, maybe I just had a garden slug crawl into my tank.
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2003 at 12:23pm
Possible, I had a spider cruzin my sandbed of my refugium.
Mike
Layton, Ut.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2003 at 9:54pm
Those slugs are very common these days. They just showed up a few years ago and now they are almost everywhere. I call them slugs too! Great algae eaters. Largest one I've seen was an inch long. Anyone longer?

The Nassarius were probably mating. That's more likely than fighting. You know... make love not war

Most worms, including Bristleworms, are very good for the tank. They eat detritus and dead animals, usually overnight!
If you find a rare one eating coral it's easy to catch. Get some bridal veil material from the fabric store. Wrap up a piece of frozen brine shrimp, freeze dried shrimp or raw shrimp in several loose layers of bridal veil tied with fishing line that is long enough to extend out of the aquarium. Watch the bristleworm go into the material to get the food and pull it out of the tank. It will scrunch up and be caught in the material. The bristles are really irritating so don't handle the worm.

Hope this helps

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic