Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are these spots on my leather?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are these spots on my leather?
    Posted: June 14 2006 at 3:56pm
My leather is all closed up today and has these spots on him.  They are white and look kind of like eggs, but I have no idea what they are.  When I touch them they will all blend together and wipe off.  All help would be great.

Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 8:04pm

Sarcophyton does that sometimes. If everything else in the tank is okay, and from the pic, I'd say it is, just be patient and it will re-hydrate. It can stay closed/shrunken for up to a week or two in some cases. Are you using some Activated Carbon in this tank?

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 14 2006 at 8:06pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 8:34pm
I am running carbon.  I'm not worried about it not extending, just the white crap on it.  Should I wipe it off and do some kind of dip to be on the safe side?
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 3:12am

My thought is that it's exuding some dead cells. If you "waft" (I don't know if that's a word, but I like it.Embarrassed) your hand over it, does it come off as dust, or slime, or do you have to get more aggressive to remove it? Is there a build up of loose detritus in the center of the "bowl"? If so, take a few good wafts or a powerhead to blow it clean. Circulation, like a nice breeze, does wonders.Smile

Do you add any iodine?
Hows the Mg level, as well as Alk and Ca in the tank?
Do you like long walks on the beach? Ooops, sorry, wrong question, Embarrassed LOL

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 15 2006 at 3:15am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic