Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leather looking worse, please help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leather looking worse, please help!
    Posted: June 21 2006 at 7:55pm

Ok so a few days ago my leather had some spots on it, then it got covered in a white thick film, not your usual shedding.  It has been all shriveled up and practially laying over.  Yesterday I thought there was hope because on one side it had shed the white crap and I could see the shiny pink flesh.  Today it's shrivelled up more and has a couple small brown spots on it where the flesh breaks away.  Is it time to get out the scissors?

Here's some pictures.

also if someone is around the U and could come over and give some advice that would be great!

Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 8:17pm
Amber, when did you notice the changes? Did you notice anything when you put the new lights on?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 8:19pm
Amber, do you have other softies around this guy? I found mine kinda compete for space. When I use carbon, it keeps them happy....

Could it be allelopathy?

I've found my algae collection does the same thing to corals so I've been using carbon religiously!
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 9:09pm
I noticed it looking worse on the 14th, exactly 1 week ago.  I run carbon (I'll change it tonight) and it had been doing awesome with the lights for the first few months.

the algae is all in the sump and that's looking good as well. 

Actually all of my other corals except for a new acan I got are looking awesome.  I'll check my parameters in a few mins after I put my kids in bed.
Amber
29 gallon reef
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 9:47pm
Ok here are my water parameters

Alk 9.6
Ca 420
specific gravity 1.025
pH 8.0 (low I'm adding some buffer to raise it)
NH3 0
NO3- 0
I didn't check my NO2- or my PO4 but I'm assuming they're 0 as well as I have a bag of phosphate removed in the sump and my nitrates were good.
Amber
29 gallon reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:34am
Two things:

8.0 pH is not too low. Since Alk is good, don't mess with the pH.

How long has the PO4 remover been used? A reading of 0.0 PO4 is not proper. This will kill the Sarcophyton.

If you call me I can arrange to visit you and a couple other hobbyists in your area.

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 22 2006 at 8:35am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 9:47am
Amber - how's the leather doin???
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 10:12am
not too good, hopefully Mark can make it over today and let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Amber
29 gallon reef
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 10:48am
Well keep us updated!  
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 1:36pm
Well I got out the scissors and fragged it.  I was going to try to just cut off a few pieces but pretty much all of the petals were turning black inside.   I cut off the top and I was able to salvage 3 tiny pieces from the center that hadn't turned black yet.  Here it is  Confused, I hope it makes it.

Amber
29 gallon reef
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 1:46pm
THAT FREAKING SUCKS!!!

I'm sorry woman. . . Cry
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 4:09pm

Did you keep the frag pieces?  My leathers sometimes go black and shrivled for a while and then presto they are polyped again.  In fact, I didn't know the devel's hand got polyps until after I'd had it for several months.  Cry Didn't know you were going to frag it.  I bet it grows back fine though. 

I feel badly for not saying anything, now.  I just usually don't jump in on the health cases because I don't want to speak about what I don't know.   

Edited by Angel - June 23 2006 at 4:11pm
Connie
Tooele
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 4:19pm

It's not just that it was all shriveled but the flesh was starting to fall to pieces around the edges.  More had fallen off each day, and the interior of the leather was black and stunk.  Those are the pieces I cut off.  I'm assuming that if I hadn't cut off all of the decomposing pieces that the whole leather would have been lost.  Hopefully it will now come back...

I kept the pieces I could that didn't have any stinky black crap.

Connie how is the piece I gave you doing?  Did you ever get it out of the rocks?  If none of mine make it maybe I'll have to get a frag from you when it gets bigger. 
Amber
29 gallon reef
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 4:41pm

OK, I didn't realize it was decomposing....yea drastic measures.  You are welcome to a frag of what I have.  I have one large piece I got at the LFS and the rest are but frags themselves, yet.  There is a whole world lost in the rocks.  Thats the only trouble with having made interior swim spaces.  Geek

Connie
Tooele
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 7:00pm
Amber, did the leather start growing again from the stump?

aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 10:50pm
It didn't, after I cut off the top the stump started turning black and oozing so it was all gone .  Thanks for asking, I have gotton another leather and I hope it grows large rather then splitting so I can replace the huge one.  I guess we'll see what happens.
Amber
29 gallon reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic