FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

curing live rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: curing live rock?
    Posted: November 20 2003 at 3:28pm

I just got a shipment of liverock that was pretty much taken from tonga and shipped directly to my house.  It hasn't even had any die off yet.  They are filled with life such as corals and lots of worms.  Should I be worried about hitchhikers?  I want to keep the corals alive if I can and I'm not worried about a nitrate spike.  What should I do?  I have a very large protein skimmer for my 90 gallon tank.

-Cody

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 3:40pm
Cody, hitchhikers are always a concern, and you can usually count on some being there. As for dieoff, it may come and you may not know or you may. Monitor the levels and you will see what happens. How was the LR sent? If it was not sumberged, I will assume that there will be some die-off. As for what you can do to prevent live from dieing off, you can pray to Posiden (however you spell it) but the "damage" would have already been done. Just keep an eye on it IMO. Good luck!
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 4:19pm
Cody,  where did you get it?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 6:05pm
I got it from exoticfish.com, its the deep water tonga special for 2.50 a pound.  This rock is some of the best I have seen. 
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 9:01pm
I think that it would be a good idea to put te rock in a seperate tank . But you are alway taking a chance adding rock from anywere. What kind of livestock is in your tank right now?
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 9:38pm

How much did you get and how much was shipping?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 9:55pm
I got 50 lbs overnighted by fedex for 65.  They also said that I could of had a 100 lbs shipped to the airport for 60.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 10:06pm

Bummer, I would have went in on 50 lbs.  We could have shared shipping...

Anyone want to go in halfs on 100 lbs?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic