Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RO system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2003 at 11:56am

FYI - I used tap water for the first 3 months in my tank.  I had a RO/DI unit, but we were remodelling and I didn't hook it up at first.  I had a BUNCH of SPS in the tank right from the start.  It not only survived with the tap water, but it flourished and grew at a phenominal rate.

Since I have switched to RO/DI, have I seen any differences?  The answer is yes, I have.  The difference has not been in how anything is growing but the amount of algae that is growing in my tank.  The removal of silicate and phosphates has helped in reducing the amount of algal growth in my main tank. 

IME, tap water does not affect the health and growth of SPS.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2003 at 11:58am

crazy-sps, I really wasn't trying to get anyone, I was just curious.  I would be interested to learn more on how Mg helps corals to calcify.  The coral calcification mechanisms I'm read about don't mention Mg, just Ca.  The Mg in our tanks do help us to keep Ca levels higher then we normally could.  And calcifiction, both in corals and non-biological, seems to increase at higher Ca and CO3 levels.  As for where Mg goes, some of it is incorporated in the coral skeleton (about 1000 ppm compared to 380,000 for Ca).  That means a gram of Mg is consumed during coral calcification for every 380 grams of Ca.  Coralline alage has a greater level of Mg incorporated in it's growth.  I also wonder what role, if any, that Strontium plays?

Mark, the board must be counting each of your posts twice .

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2003 at 1:09pm
Crazy-sps, yes it's Brian and I only saw his tank once, a long time before he worked at MSM, and it looked fine except that he had been experimenting with mercury vapor lighting and I didn't like the look of it. Did you ever see his tank?

Thanks for the compliments about the tank. I wasn't sure about whether you had noticed the three SPS. I mentioned the frogspawn because I was totally amazed at how two of the three frags were the tiniest buds from Steve Lopez that we didn't know would expand so large, like 30X the size of the skeleton!

From what I've seen, the systems that have the best growth of SPS must have MH lighting, skimming, furious upper water movement, and a calcium reactor. This seems to be the best environment for clams as well. After those four aspects are met, everything else is negotiable.

If I recall correctly, Fluoride was discussed in previous posts as no worry.

Jon, Perhaps there are some who wish that were true

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2003 at 5:33pm

Jon, I did a search through Google and all I could find about strontium is that ir promotes and speeds growth.  Can't find any technical stuff about it.  I only looked through the first page of links though.

Mark, yes I have seen Brian's tank but I don't want be rude so I'll keep my mouth shut.  Has anyone every tried High Pressure Sodium lights?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic