Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

?'s about my coral banded shrimp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ?'s about my coral banded shrimp
    Posted: July 22 2006 at 4:45pm
I have a pretty good sized Coral Banded Shrimp in my tank. He hasn't gotten his hands on anything yet (other than some of the cleaning crew I think) but what are the possibilities that he could? I have heard he's bad to have in the tank with other shrimp? I want to get a cleaner and or a fire shrimp. Would there be problems? Thanks ahead of time for your input!

-Brandon
SLC, UT
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 4:49pm
I've had no problems...Mine is with cleaner and peppermint shrimps.  I do have a lot of room though...they live in a 125 gal reef. 

FWIW
Bill

210 gallon Mixed Reef
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 4:49pm
I have a cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp and peppermint shrimp in my 65 and they all get along.
Immortal
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 4:56pm

ok so would the chances on a 75g tank be pretty good that they could go fine together? Are they known to prey on anything other than stuff like crabs?

TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 5:03pm
I would say they would be fine together. 
210 gallon Mixed Reef
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 5:14pm

Well I am a little more willing now to give it a try. I have seen him "spear" forward at fish that were in his aread. Specifically, my Diamond Goby and my six-line wrasse. These were the problems that raised my question. Has anyone had any problems of this sort? Is it just territoriality or is it aggression?

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 11:48am
Coral Banded shrimp can be aggressive toward each other.  When they fight they can pull each others arms off.  but I have also never had a problem with them and other shrimp species or fish.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 1:58pm
Hes just playing!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
gateb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 5:32pm
The jabbing behavior is the reason they are also called "Boxer Shrimp".  I had one years ago and I have one now along with 2 cleaner shrimps. Neither one ever bothered anything and I think their behavior is rather comical. They were together in my 75 and they are still together in my 120. My wife and I hand feed it and the 2 cleaner shrimps pieces of krill.   
120 Gal RR
2 Pan World 100PX return pumps
AquaC EV-180 w\Mag 9
40 + 13 Gal refugia
2 175w Iwasaki Aqua2 MH
4 48" URI Super Actinic VHO
IceCap MH and VHO Ballasts

Ogden, UT

unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 6:00pm
On the bad side, I had one and a cleaner shrimp in a 50g.
They would stalk each other.
Eventually the peppermint grabbed the cleaner and pulled him appart
All I can say is each shrimp is a little different.

Maybe the cleaner flipped him off and in a shrimp version of road rage the ppm killed him.
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 11:25pm
I think he just got to my porcelain anemone crab.  Found it laying in the corner of the tank where the CB shrimp normally hides. Any advice on how to catch him?
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 7:19pm
I have peppermints and a Banded coral shrimp and they're OK but I am missing a blue green chromis that never looked sick.  I've tried to interogate but they all clammed up. 
Connie
Tooele
ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 9:47pm
I've had a coral banded shrimp in my nano for about 6 weeks now, and suddenly there are chunks of frogspawn showing up all over.  At night, the coral banded has always hung out next to the FS, but the chunks just started showing up yesterday...?  If he ends up being the culprit, anyone want a good-sized CB shrimp?
Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
siren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 7:44pm
I had one in my 72 with 2 cleaners.  I had to get rid of him when he started to snip the legs off my cleaners.  He also took snips at my fish, but never got his claws on them.

Good luck with him!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic