Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ich sucks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ich sucks!
    Posted: August 08 2006 at 10:02am

Guys, I need help.  Ok let me start off, my butterfly fish got ICH about 2-3 weeks ago and I kept feeding my fish garlic food but sadly he passed away .  Now my Percula has it!!!  I've done water changes, garlic food, and even put the ICH attack in and it won't go away.  I'm so frustrated, I've tried everything I can think of anyone else have any ideas?  Please help my percula is mated with my other clown and I really don't want to lose any more fish.

aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 10:31am
Ich does suck!  I'm sorry you lost your butterfly, hopefully the percula will pull though.  Have you tried running a uv sterilizer.
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 11:12am
No... I'm kinda new to the whole fish thing "about 6 months now" I'll go to the LFS today and see if they have one.  Thanks -Zipp
She looks good today hopefully I can do another waterchange today and hopefully they'll pull through. O do you have a link to your Frag pics?  I looked on frag.org but couldn't find any pics of your zoo's.
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 11:29am

try going to this page:

http://www.frags.org/memberprofile.php?id=6697

then you can click on view this members frags and it will pull up.  I have quite a few more then what's posted.  send me a pm if you want to come look at anything
Amber
29 gallon reef
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 1:57pm
Will do thank you :) I really like the orange mouth fire and ice

Edited by zippeay - August 08 2006 at 1:59pm
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 12:12am
I'll echo what aaaj said about the UV.  Ich go through a life cycle - some of which is free swimming and this is the time to get it to go through the UV.  It won't really help those on the fish but will help with the whole life cycle thing.
Connie
Tooele
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 8:46am
I went to the LFS yesterday and asked about a UV Sterilizer but the guy there said he wouldn't recommend one because I have coral :(.  I only have some frogspawn, zoo's and mushrooms but he said it might hurt them so he wouldn't use one.  What do you guys suggest?
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 8:57am
I run one for about 3 week evey 3 months and it hasn't hurt my corals at all.  If you run one all the time it's not good because (please correct me if I'm wrong) it kills all of the live stuff floating in the water so filterfeeds won't get food.  The time that I'm not running the uv I feed phyto like crazy and my corals love it.
Amber
29 gallon reef
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 11:59am
Alright cool, thanks for the advice.  Do you have any idea on how much I should spend for one?  My tank is only a 35 gallon?  Any suggestions on brands?

Edited by zippeay - August 09 2006 at 11:59am
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 4:16pm
i would just like to pipe in here real quick that shawn at aquatica uses UV on his tanks. im not sure how often he runs them and all that but i think his display tank is by far the best that i have seen. he told me to get one when i was goin through some ich issues. i believe he runs his 24/7 but i have no idea. you might want to ask him about it.
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 4:48pm
Ok thanks
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 4:15pm
Uh oh, I came home from work today to a dead clown :(.  I tried so hard to save her but she didn't look too good this morning, her skin was real pale and she was bobbing at the top of the water so I kinda new it wasn't real good.  I was just hoping she'd pull through, I'm going to go get a UV sterilizer tonight.  That's 2 fish in a week....  Sigh...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 8:28pm
I suspect you have something else that isn't quite right in this tank. Before you spend any more money on the problem, feel free to call me for a helpful analysis of the general health of the tank.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 8:30am
Take Mark up on his offer!  He is very knowlegable and loves to help people out.  It does sound like more than just ick.  Ick comes on when the fish are stressed.  You should find out why they are stressed.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 4:23pm
Thanks dude, I'll try and give you a call tonight.  I work full time and I've been really busy putting a new motor in my truck since it blew last weekend .  The 3 fish I have left " 2 pajama cardinals and 1 hawkfish" in my tank all seem fine, they are eating and show no signs of ICH "Thank god".  I'm beginning to think I may have just had my tank overstocked.  Maybe that was what the whole problem was, I've done my chemical test's and everything checks out fine. I've even brought samples into the LFS and had them check it and they say its fine.  I talked with the owner "I think he's the owner" of Mountain shadow marine and he had a lot of good info and even offered to give me an awesome deal on a tank. But since my stupid truck's broke so is my wallet ATM.  Soooo.... I'll just make do with what I have for right now even though I really would like to take that guy up on his offer I just cannot right now.  Thanks guys
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 4:42pm

Doesn't Mark work at Mountain Shadow?

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 4:49pm
yes he does. maybe that is who zippeay talked to. i can see mark giving you a good deal on some stuff mark is a good man, listen to his advice. i did and my tank looks great these days. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 8:12pm

Sure, a larger tank will prevent ich...  Not.

FYI, I answer calls anytime, day or night.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 9:01pm
It doesn't????????  No wonder it didn't work for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 2:01am
I was just going to say what the other members did. Usually fish will pull through ich unless they are stressed. good luck I hope all works out for you.
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic