Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

macro algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
djangoboots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: macro algae
    Posted: December 03 2003 at 1:49pm
I bought some macro algae from my LFS about a week ago. There
were 3 diff. varieties, sorry i don't know their names. Anyway two of
them started to become clear and they died. The 3rd one lasted a bit
longer but has now turned white and has green bubble things on it.
Any ideas??
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 2:01pm
Got any pics of the third one. When it goes clear, its dyng. Some caulerpa just doesn't do well. Do you have cyanobacteria growing? Is it in a refugia or your main tank?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 2:23pm
it's in my main tank. i do not have any cyanobacteria. the two that
died quickly were a grape and undulated. the 3rd has roots, or root
like things, in the substrate. but i can't seem to find it on the net. i
am still looking though.
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 2:50pm

What kind of lighting are you using?

i got an algae pack when i first setup my refuguim ... the only thing i have that lived was the chaeto. maybe it just out competed everything else - dunno. i didn’t add any caulerpa... so, i dont know how that would have done for me or *with* the chaeto, maybe i wouldn’t have any chaeto if i had put it in.

none of the macro algae survived very well in my main tank...

i have a couple of general macro algae questions while were on the topic. if i'm hijacking, i'm sorry and i can start a new thread.

if you add multiple macro algaes will they compete, if there is limited space or do they usually do just fine together?

i've been reading a little bit about keep different macro algae and i'm not sure, but it seems like they might like slightly cooler temps than we usually keep our reef tanks at... i dont know though. what are peoples experiences?

has anyone local successfully kept a "planted tank"?

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 3:00pm
djangoboots - Coreyk asked a good question. I usually run about two watts per gallon on my refugias, but that's pretty skim from a main tank. Most caulerpa I have seen has roots, or at least something to anchor it to substrate or rocks.

Coreyk - usually the grape caulerpa, racemosa, will outcompete other macro algaes. I say usually because there are people on this board that keep different types in their refugias and main tanks. I have seen other types of algae die when a tank's temp get changed drastically in any direction in a short amount of time, but I know people that keep their tank at 80-82 and caulerpa grows great.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by coreyk coreyk wrote:

has anyone local successfully kept a "planted tank"?

I've had a few tanks that looked like grass fields with all the algae.  Then I added mangroves and it looked like a forest.  You couldn't see a single rock, and you couldn't see through the glass.  Despite what my wife will tell you it was the best looking tank I have ever seen. 

Oh yah, and your other question- algae will compete for space but it is not hard at all to keep several types of algae in a tank at one time.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Diverdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 1:00pm
I started out with feather and blade (sorry for the common names, Adam.) The balde completely took my refugium over and is not the only thing. I tried to add grape(racemosa) and it did not last. I use the caulerpa as my filtration, so I have a ton. Sump is completely packed with the stuff. So, yes they do compete and for me Prolifera (blade) won.

I keep the tank at 78 degress with out any issues.

Why is anyone buying caulerpa, just ask on the board and get some for free. I throw the stuff away on a regular basis as do many of the people using ot for filtration.

If you give me frags you can have all you want. Or you can just have all you want.
Rich
75 Gallon Reef
15 Gallon Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 1:48pm
thanks I would love to have some more caulerpa but since I live in
charleston,SC it may be a bit difficult getting it.
OK i do have to admit that I do not know what a frag is though.
can someone fill me in.
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 2:43pm
frag = fragment or a small piece of coral that has been cut or broken off a larger piece.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Diverdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 3:28pm
If you really want some I can ship it. I have sold the stuff on Ebay before and I have a bunch of US postal priroty boxes for shipping it. It normally does just fine shipped priority if it arrives in 2 or 3 days. Cost to you for a big bag, $7.

Rich
75 Gallon Reef
15 Gallon Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 3:54pm
that sounds good. i am wondering if i should wait until my tank ages
a bit more. I am thinking that maybe the reason it all died was b/c
there just aren't enough nuitrients in the water.
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2003 at 11:22am
There is a great club in the Carolinas area, at least there was just a year or two ago. I think it's the Marine Aquarium Society of the Carolinas or MASC. It might be in Greenville, if I remember correctly. If you can't find it online and can't locate a person close to you, let me know. I'm sure I can find someone for you to share this hobby with and probably get all the caulerpa you want for free! Like Diverdan said, around here we throw it away if we can't give it away!
Bye y'all
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic