Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

digital photography 101

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: digital photography 101
    Posted: December 06 2003 at 10:38pm
I am not a photographer, but was asked how I bring out the colors in some pics. Perhaps my experience will help.
Color seems to come out pretty good under all Fluorescent lights. It's those high Kelvin MH that wash out color. They are just so darn bright with light energy!
I find that under the bluer MH (10,000K and above) digital pics always look very blue as in this pic from Seti007's tank with two blue MH. The pic on the right is how it looked after the one 6500K(?) MH came one:

The right pic looks better because of the one MH that is not blue. In the case where that option is not available, it takes more creativity.

I use a flash and also try to reduce the brightness on the finished pic by using a computer graphics program. This is Ryan Willden next to his beautiful tank. I found that the top pic, taken without flash, actually came out with more color than others of that day, such as the close up (small pic to save space here) of the Brain Coral, GS Polyps & Tomato. The difference was the bit of natural sunlight illuminating part of the picture. This seems to fool my camera into seeing more color, whereas when only the bright blue of the MH is seen by the camera, it seems to diminish other colors.

Here is the same scene with flash. Using the graphics program, I also tried to enhance the colors on this flashed pic, but went a bit too far, don't you think.

This flashed pic of Diverdan and his tank worked out quite well for color, but the focus was a little off for some reason:

And then there are times when you want the deep blue color. I'm quite pleased with how this Reef Tour pic of Danny Lueck's Maxima Clam and Allens Damsel turned out:

Someone with even a little photography training can probably tell me how to adjust the shutter speed and aperature to get a more desirable effect, but so far I'm still an automatic exposure kind of beginner.
Good luck to y'all and happy shooting!

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2003 at 10:04am
Hey Mark, great pics. I definetly liked the picture of my tank at the top better than the one underneath it. It made me look more tan... Just kidding. You do a great job shooting pics.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2003 at 12:18pm
Lately, when I take pics, I offer to give the pics to the person on a disk since there is usually several meg of image files. If I have taken pics of anyones tank in the past (oboy, seti007 and others)and not offered, please just ask for them. It's kind of fun and sometimes I come out with some pretty good images.
Mark
dianatabor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2003 at 6:06pm
I always take my pictures under 10,000K Premium Daylight PC lighting with my flash turned off using my digital camera's action setting to avoid blurs. I usually get pretty true colors. Here's an example of one of my photos (no color or lighting adjustments):

My only problem is that the Figi Pink sand in my tank is VERY light and often appears washed out in my photos. Does anyone have a tip for preventing this while maintaining the brightness of the other colors in the photo?

Thanks!
Diana
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2003 at 7:17pm
Im my case Mark was kind enough to wait while I downloaded the pics to my computer. Not having a camera myself, to date those are the only pics I have of my tank. I been really good all year so hopefully Santa will be bringing me a dig camera this Xmas
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 12:41pm
Diana, excellent. Please show us more of what a belly dancer/photographer can do. More pics, I mean

Asad, yeah I forgot about that. Hope Santa leaves a DC in your stocking.
My Sony brand of DC has the new lithium rechargable batteries. These batteries are the only way to go IMO. It also seems to be less complicated to use than a Canon that my mother bought. Oh I forgot, I bought my Sony from you at RC Willey! Now that you are at Ultimate Electronics just south of where TPF was, will you be helping Santa choose the camera?
Any good bargains we should know about there?
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 2:23pm

really like the pic diana ... lighting is very clean and really shows off the colors! you might be able to put some sort of a piece of semi-transparent cloth under the light or even move the light away a little to diffuse it the light a little more. then you might not loose the color of your sand.

cant wait to get that new cam that santa has in his bag for me!  its arriving early ... so, hopefully i'll be posting a couple shots in a week or so.

so here is a question... is it "cheating" to alter the digital phots of your tank in photoshop?  contrast, saturation, etc...

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by coreyk coreyk wrote:

so here is a question... is it "cheating" to alter the digital phots of your tank in photoshop?  contrast, saturation, etc...

Ever bought a book on corals?  Ever looked at the books in pet stores?  Most of the authors we have had visit our club have shared with us their ways to enhance their pictures.  If you sometimes wonder why your corals in your tank don't look as good as those in the Sprung book or Paletta book or Borneman book.... it's probably because you aren't spending enough time altering your pictures. 

So is it cheating????? Sure, but who cares.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

ha! just askin <grin>  wouldn't have stopped me if you had said yes!

Edited by coreyk
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 9:43pm

ok here are a couple of shots ... the new camera got here today  no photoshop... just straight pics w/ VHO lighting. little blurry - i'm off to get a tripod tomorrow!!! sorry if this wasnt a "post your pic thread" ... i wasn't sure ... 

Edited by coreyk
tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 8:32am
Wow - great zoos! See if you can increase the depth of field, might help. Got any frags?
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 8:55am

thanks man! i pulled the camera out of the box shot a couple of shots. slapped on the macro and shot a couple more. i have NOT looked at the manual or or any instructions yet... but the potential for fun seems endless to me, i've got lots to learn!  which should be the best part of it!

no frags yet -- my tank is still getting its feet ( 6 months and counting ), but i'll post them here as soon as i do! thanks for the compliments!

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I would say it is not cheating unless you purposely change the picture to misrepresent the actual specimen you are taking a picture of.  Most digital cameras do not give real to life colors, but with photoshop you can fix that and provide a closer representation of what you are photographing.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 10:31am
Corey - When you got some frags of 2nd and 4th Zoo pics, let me know.  I would trade you for some of my Zoos.  I have about 30 colors of them now.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
kini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 1:24pm

As long as we are sharing pictures here is one of my favorites.  The picture itself is not that great but it is a bamboo shark that I hatched we my tank was more of a FOWLR than a reef.

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 6:38pm

sean: np! a trade would be great! i''l let you and tflowers know when i have some. i'll start a new thread sometime soon and post the rest of my zoos.

kini: nice shark! very pretty ... how big will it get?

jake: thats also much how i feel ... i was just curious if people had any strong opinions about it.

photoshop is one of the things that i do really well and i know how easy it is to make something look completely different that the reality... so, i guess i would say that i do care if the images i see images are edited to "enhance" the picture and not just "represent" the picture.

i guess, i would equate it to telling a "fish story" <pun intended>. Everything gets just a little bit better and that 13" brown that you caught turns into a 17" by the time you tell your buddy about it .

Edited by coreyk
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 7:08pm
Beautiful shark.
Speaking of fish stories,
if the Ranger hadn't stopped me at the Jordanelle boat ramp to have me do a survey I would have said this cutthroat was 15". He recorded it as 18" Which pic do you think I should use to brag?

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 6:30pm

This picture is taken with my Sony F-717.  The lighting was 220 watts of actinic blue and 500 watts of 10k MH lighting.  I would say that the best advice that I can give is to always make sure that your using the optical zoom (never digital zoom) and use a tripod to steady the shot.  I love snapping off pictures, not very good at it yet, but I'm getting there.

I'm also a firm believer in using macro lenses for close up shots and cleaning them up in Photoshop. 

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 6:32pm
beautiful shot sean!
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 7:20pm
Just a fun site to see how different digital cameras stack up take a look at www.dpreview.com as they have several indepth reviews of various cameras.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic