Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP !!! w/possible disaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BILLYBOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLYBOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP !!! w/possible disaster
    Posted: October 01 2006 at 11:42pm
 I have a 210 gallon all glass aqauarium and the middle support at the top is missing Cry Someone tried to glue in some halfassed acrylic peices but they have all broken off, the glass is bowing at the top about 1/2 inch out from its orginal position on the front and back, my question is: will the 1/2 inch thick grass crack and break and cause a huge mess Ouch, and more important how to fix it! This scares the hell out of me! Feel free to call me with your solutions at 916-5000
BILLY BOB 916-5000
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2006 at 11:47pm
Maybe lower the water level enough that the glass comes back in then attach a support on the top with nylon screws? Maybe silicone some glass on top like eurobracing?

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2006 at 11:59pm
check your other posting
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
BILLYBOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLYBOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 11:19am

I put a heavy duty strap (yellow one) its acually a ratcheting tie down across hooked on both sides across the top and am slowly pulling it back together about one click per day. yes very scary. esp since I just convinced my wife to let me put it upstairs IN THE WALL!

" hunny dont worry I have thought of every single possible leak scenario and believe me its guaranteed not not leak, smell, or be noisy" I swear ill lie, cheat or steal for this so called hobby
BILLY BOB 916-5000
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 11:00am
Did you get it fixed?
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Dreaming View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 4:27am
Originally posted by BILLYBOB BILLYBOB wrote:

I put a heavy duty strap (yellow one) its acually a ratcheting tie down across hooked on both sides across the top and am slowly pulling it back together about one click per day. yes very scary.

Your kidding right? :(  The pressure points from the hook ends is like you said VERY SCARY... If you are going to do that you might as well have just went and bought a vice and a couple flat boards or 2x4's.... Less chance of breaking...

I would have went with the lowering of the water level suggestion myself... 

Yet the question still stands did you get it fixed?  I would also go with the other part of the suggetion euro brace...

Personal opinion...

Edited by Dreaming - October 06 2006 at 4:28am
BILLYBOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLYBOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 1:15pm

sorry for delaid reply, yes i hope it is fixed, i glued the same pieces of acylic back in place once the ratchet did its job ( yes i put some pieces of wood between the metel hooks and the glass to distribute the pressure)

although there are alot of bubbles in the seam and it is starting to crack again i was thinking of putting a lower number of glue on again.  the lower the number the thiner the glue right?
BILLY BOB 916-5000
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 2:16pm
if you were to add glue, I would suggest getting a bar clamp so that could hold the tension while the glue cures.

Brian
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic