Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confused on MH setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused on MH setup
    Posted: December 08 2003 at 3:42pm

I just recieved my metal halide retro kit in the mail today, and Im very confused on how it all fits together. Here is where I bought it from...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=23641 43776&category=20755

So when I took it all out, I found something I wasn't expecting. The cord attached to where the bulb screws in has a strange plug (hidden in the picture). It kind of looks like this....

O

O

__

Do I just cut this off and use the wires to connect to the ballast or do I need to buy something else?

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by BananaTropics
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 4:01pm
I suggest you contact A to T lamps and ask them.
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 4:32pm

I have the same ballast (250w version) and mogul base.  Mine didn't have any plug on it, it was just a raw cord.  I just attached the wires with standard screw-on wire connectors and wrapped with electrical tape so no moisture could get in.  I would say that you need to cut off the end and just attach as I did.

Like Jon said, contact the vendor to make sure that's what they recommend and that it won't void your warranty.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 4:36pm

Thanks. I have contacted them, so I guess I'll wait and see what they say.

Adam

Edited by BananaTropics
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 8:19pm
There should be a female receiver that matches the plug. I think I have seen these before and it really makes it convenient to move lighting, etc. I whish I had that, but mine is hard-wired for now. Hope we don't get transferred for a long time! I would definately wait to cut it off. Is there no receiver for thise pins? Do you have 3 or 5 wires "bare" wires hanging out of your ballast?
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 8:27pm

It has three going in (which correspond to the three prongs on a standard plug) and two going out (a green and a yellow cord).

Carl, if I could find the counterpart to that plug, I think i'd get it. I'll ask A&T lighting and see if they have one or know where to get one.

Thanks, Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 9:43am

Here's the reply I got today....

Just cut the plug off
Best Regards
A to T Lamps

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 9:58am
Just as I expected.  Maybe they should try to include directions with their product, eh?

Edited by SSpargur
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 10:36am

LOL... "Hey, what are all of these extra parts Vern?"  "Aww, who cares George, just cut them off and throw them away. We probably don't need 'em anyways."

Makes my decision to not go with them even more sound in my opinion.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic