Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10g doing great!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Greenanemone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10g doing great!
    Posted: October 20 2006 at 12:15pm
I just thougt that I would send a quick update to the club about the 10g tank that is in my fourth grade classroom.

We(the kids and I) have been watching new critters come out of the rocks daily! It is soooo fun! Starfish, tube snails, all kinds of worms, three types of shrooms, mysid shrimp, copepods, isopods, ampipods, some small bivalve, and the list seems to grow daily!

Oh--do those small white brittle stars grow fast? I could swear that mine are getting big--or else they are starting to show themselves more.

One more quick question--what could I get to "stir up the sandbed"? There are areas that the snails and hermits dont mix it up enough to keep it looking "white" he he! I can see trails of where an animal has came through.. What kind of critter could I get that would actively mix it up--I know that there are some good sand sifters--but I hear that they die once they eat everything up--hmm--maybe a small fish(that hardy-remember the tank is young) that mixes the sand, maybe a star, maybe a???????

Ryan
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 12:44pm
Well I think it takes some time to get the sand white, you could get another cup of live sand some some else's tank to see if that will add more good worms etc.

But as for sand stirrer - I would say the best is a pistol shrimp w/ watchman goby. . . tons of tunnels.

Edit: GLAD THINGS ARE GOING GOOD!! POST PICS PLEASE~

Edited by sukie - October 20 2006 at 12:44pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 3:27pm
Sounds like the tank is doing great! I think your tank is too small and too young for any sand sifters.

Mike

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 6:45pm
If you feel you must have sand sifters get Nassarius Vibex snails.  They are small and will sift around under the sand coming out mostly when food enters the tank.  It's quite fun to feed and watch them emerge from the sandbed.

Otherwise I agree with Mike your tank is too small and to young for a sand sifting star or a Sleepergoby.  Both would starve slowly in your tank.

Your best bet is to learn to live with a less than perfectly white sandbed like I eventually did.  It's not a bad thing, even though we tend to see it as unsightly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic