Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to get Sand for DSB?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to get Sand for DSB?
    Posted: November 27 2002 at 11:43am

I can't seem to find any good, inexpensive sand here in Utah.  A lot of other places have Southdown or something simmilar, but it seems we don't have anything like that.  I've heard of people getting sand from the Great Salt lake, but would be worried about what else you are getting.

Any one know of any good sand sorces?

clintc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clintc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2002 at 1:14pm
I've used play sand from ToysRus without problems.  It's about $5 for a bag - 25 lbs I think.
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2002 at 5:44pm
That's good to know.  What brand did you go with?
clintc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clintc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2002 at 10:20am
It's labeled as PlaySand, no brand really.  50lb bags.  It is kind of a grey color, not really white.  So if color is a concern, maybe something else would be better.  I've heard of people using fine grained sand blasting sand as well.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2002 at 10:23am

I highly recommend using CaribSea (or a competitors) crushed coral.  Nothing beats it.  Sand is not an area to save money (in my mind).  Others disagree.  If you do chose to use a non calcium based sand, and use a cheaper version, then I also recommend you stay away from the Great Salt Lake anything.  Don't collect your own, buy the playground sand if you must.   

It's not worth it, in my experience.  The crushed coral has way too many benefits to leave it out.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2002 at 6:20pm

Adam,

Where do you get your sand from and what does it cost?  Seems the cheapest "real" sand I can find is www.purearagonite.com.

clintc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clintc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2002 at 10:27pm
as a note, I do have crushed coral in the tank as well.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2002 at 9:58am

I agree with Adam on this one.  Although there are some substrates that can be successfully used in a reef tank, you are missing some of the most important benefits of a substrate.  Using a calcium based substrate stabilizes your pH, adds calcium and other beneficial trace elements, and provides a larger surface area than a silicate type sand (play sand).

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2002 at 8:34pm

Torghn,

Do you come to the WMAS meetings? Since the meeting is tomorrow, come talk to me about this. I am planning to get some excellent, free, Utah Oolitic Aragonite sand for TLP and you may want to join me in the excursion. Everyone is invited.

There is nothing but advantage to using this Utah sand. There is also a lot more info than I can share by typing in this forum.

Mark 296-1563

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2002 at 9:01am
Yes, I will be at the meeting.  I would love to get some sand, I will see you there.
Chem Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2002 at 12:09pm

There were a couple detailed discussion on using the sand from the GSL over at Reefcentral.  Very good and informative, including one user who set up a test system first.  They are at:

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=55aa6912dfdda1d55165d58249c5fd30&threadid=82289&highlight=great+salt+lake+sand

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=55aa6912dfdda1d55165d58249c5fd30&threadid=103873&highlight=great+salt+lake+sand

Enjoy.....

Jim LaMunyon

Richmond, Utah
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2002 at 1:22pm
Kind of funny, That first tread is how I found THIS site!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2002 at 3:03pm

Just in case anyone is interested, we did discuss Oolytic Sand a while back on this forum.  It was under the "Filtration" heading.  Not sure if this will work, but here is a link to that discussion

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=8&PagePosition=2

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2002 at 4:57pm

Hello everyone.

Here is the link to the page that gives directions to the Oolitic sand. You may be surprised to learn that the same freeway exit leads to Seabase to the south.

color=#800080http://www.ugs.state.ut.us/utahgeo/rockmineral/collecting/oolitic.htm

Contrary to the directions there is no stop sign at the intersection. The intersction where the stop sign is supposed to be is just before the point of the mountain. A short distance after turning left (west), look on the left for a low rise where you might see a plywood sheet cut in the shape of Utah state. It's used for target practice so there is a lot of copper and lead in that spot! Go up over the top to the right and back toward some telephone poles lying on the ground. There is a depression where I have been collecting much cleaner sand than out front.

Wash the sand to remove sticks and dust then put it in your tank about an inch on the bottom with another one to two inches of CaribSea special grade Reef sand with a little live sand for innoculation.

If your tank is already set up, that’s no problem. If you spread a thin layer over the top of existing substrate, it will sift down to the bottom as the sand is disturbed by the benthic organisms. Do this three times and you will have a good anoxic layer of Oolitic sand. This allows you to use some of your existing DSB (Deep Sand Bed) to start another tank or to give to someone else to start up their tank.

I dislike how a DSB takes up water space and looking at three or more inches of substrate against the glass is also a wasted view unless you like watching worms and various "…pods". This fine sized Oolitic sand allows a shallower sand bed because of it’s increased amount of surface area per volume of sand. This is one reason why I like RDP Refugia sumps. I usually keep a DSB in the sump and a shallower bed in the main tank

Last night at the meeting I was asked how to deal with a plenum and this Oolitic sand. The answer is to discard the plenum before adding Oolitic. I used plenums for about four years. After removal about four years ago, I could see no deterioration in tank health.

Another question was a concern about packing. The sand is not at all dense and impenetrable to small organisms as it is to our fingers. I have been using Oolitic sand for years and it’s cool to see the tiny worm trails all through it.

About six months ago I helped my brother set up a tank. Last night at the meeting he asked me what the tiny red things were that he saw in the sand. He described them as tiny red plant roots taking irregular paths all through the sand! This is where a magnifying glass opens up a new world to you and your family and the roots become living creatures!

Hope this helps,

Mark

P.S. Here a tip when moving live rock: Keep it submerged when moving from one tank to another. Or if you cannot move it in a small bucket of water from one tank to another, move it as quickly as possible and before setting it in place in the new tank, turn it all around and shake it good. This allows most air to escape thereby reducing death of the organisms living within the large and small cavities and pores in the rock.

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2002 at 12:03am

Thank you,

This information is very useful.  A bit of a drive from Logan, but still much better than paying retail on that much reef sand.

Jared

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic