Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garlic and Fish again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 2:02pm
I'll say this for any type of garlic added to the food, when I feed my tank at least my wife says "uh.. garlic" instead of "EEeyyoouugHH... Fish Stink!!!"
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Why is that some claim success using kyolic while others say it doesn't work you should use the oil extracts?  Maybe both work? 

All I know is my new Niger trigger was getting cloudy eyes, and I started soaking Krill in Kyolic for him to eat, and three days later, no more Parasites. I even "injected" some Kyolic into a few dead mollies with a needle syringe to feed to my lions, and the lions both look very healthy (after surviving tank cycling with live rock and sand.) Incidentally, I re-built my Refugium and sump last week, and I think moving all the Fuge sand from the old tank to the new tank caused a small Ammonia spike. A few of my fish were starting to get ich (Which hasn't presented itself in over a year in this tank) and I resumed feeding frozen, prepared food that had been soaked and frozen in Kyolic, and now only a few days later, they're all better. Now who can argue that kind of success. Before I started using Kyolic, I would lose at least one fish to Ich when it broke, but now whenever I change something on my tank, or add a new fish, I begin my regular regimen of feeding "Kyolic Enriched" foods, and it works every time. I'm sold for life!

Edited by Ryan Willden
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 4:14pm
Well, it wasn't an overnight thing, but my tang is starting to look better on the kyolic "ice cubes".  Seems to work for me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Meeshi_ma Meeshi_ma wrote:

Well, it wasn't an overnight thing

Yeah, kind of a bummer eh? I like instant gratification too... Oh well, at least it works.
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 5:04pm

Thanks for all of the advice!!

Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 5:37pm
You betcha
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2004 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Ryan Willden Ryan Willden wrote:

Before I started using Kyolic, I would lose at least one fish to Ich when it broke, but now whenever I change something on my tank, or add a new fish, I begin my regular regimen of feeding "Kyolic Enriched" foods, and it works every time. I'm sold for life!

I agree, using garlic seems to be revolutionizing the hobby, at least in the WMAS circle.
We no longer have accept the statistical loss of every third new fish we add to our aquarium!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
dianatabor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Take a look at the ingredients on your garlic oil. I've never found one that listed garlic extract (or oil) as the first ingredient. They are mostly vegatable oil with a small amount of garlic oil (diallyl sulfides) mixed in. If anyone knows where to find an oil that is mostly garlic please tell.

FYI - The Kent Garlic Xtreme label states that it contains "99% Allium Sativum Extract [garlic juice]." That stuff is so strong that I only use a drop or two.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic