Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ghost shrimp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ghost shrimp
    Posted: January 30 2007 at 4:33pm
We have set up a little tank to house ghost shrimp to give our lion live food.  Any suggestions on where we could purchase a large quantity for cheap, and the best ways to keep them, especially to get them to reproduce?
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 4:47pm
Ck w/ Utah Aquatics. . .they should have some ideas.
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 11:42pm

Who is Utah Aquatics?  Is that the freshwater club?

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 12:21am
Yes it is.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 7:17am
I was able to get Chad at Pet Factory to order cases for me, so maybe you could get one of the LFS to order one for you?

I was able to get them to reproduce by placing a false bottom of pvc/eggcrate in a 10 gallon tank, then covering it with bridal veil. The adults are in the top, and the larvae would fall into the bottom. I had a sponge filter in it and another airline. I would feed the adults and the larvae must have been eating the poop from the adults? I tried not to feed out the shrimp with obvious eggs, and I did end up having tons of larvae. But, they grow painfully slow. I was never able to grow them fast enough to feed my WC seahorses....I must have bought 3-4 cases before I got them to eat frozen..

Be sure to gut load the shrimp before you feed them out? I do not think they are very nutritious other wise. Ghost shrimp love cyclopeeze! I wonder if they ever knew that was their last meal?

Are you feeding live to watch the hunt?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 8:57am

I'm buying my ghost shrimp at Fish 4 U.  7 for a buck!  Best deal I've found so far.  I keep them in a jar with an airstone for a couple weeks. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Dale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 9:12pm
that's the same price at pet's and such.
just on diff sides of the valley.
i could never get my ghost shrimp to reproduce. so i just gave up on them. luckily my lionfish eats frozen now.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I'm buying my ghost shrimp at Fish 4 U.  7 for a buck!  Best deal I've found so far.  I keep them in a jar with an airstone for a couple weeks. 

Adam

So that's where my ghost shrimp have been going.  Save some for me next time.Wink

Honestly as much as I've heard people looking for these why doesn't he bring them in 1000 at a time?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic