Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tiny critters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jenjardu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjardu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiny critters
    Posted: December 16 2002 at 11:15am
Unfortunately I have had to move my tank 4 times in the past year and I think the moves may have damaged my population of amphipods, mysis shrimp and anyother little guys that were living in my rocks.  When I first set up the tank I had them running around everywhere, but now I can't see any.  I've even used a flashlight and looked at my rocks at night time when I've heard they should be more active.  I'm adding about 10 lbs off live rock and I'm hoping that will do the trick.  I was wondering what else I can do to bring them back.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 1:20pm
I find that a good macro algae patch seems to help the population grow.  What I would do is see if you can get a supply of them from someone.  If you want I have an over population of Mysis shrimp that I could try to capture some of them for you if you are interested.  Another thing that I have had in my tank that I feel has helped out is a good sized piece of pipe organ coral.  The honey comb design of the coral seems to help in keeping would be preditors at bay.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
jenjardu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjardu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 1:26pm
I have a good algae patch growing...I just have a hard time keeping a gobey alive.  It would be nice to get some shrimp if I could.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 5:47pm
Its almost worth the waiting for them than to try and harvest them from someone elses tank.  I've tryed catching a few of the critters and they escape every time.  Besides they may die from the shock of moving them from one tank to another.  If you have any live rock at all they will appear, just give them time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic