Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

acrylic bonding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: acrylic bonding
    Posted: February 11 2007 at 1:22am
Ok, one more question.  what is the best way to get acrylic to bond to acrylic?  For example putting dividers in a sump.
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 6:57pm
Welllllllll....

I know this isn't the answer to your question, but it's better to have glass in a sump.  Glass bonding to glass is best done with regular old silicone.  If you go looking I've heard tell that small glass sheets from local shops runs you roughly $10 per sheet.  The prolific DIY'r will find (borrow) a glass cutting tool, rummage through a dump/DI (hehe DI has so much cool stuff) and cut the baffles themselves-- this doesn't come recommended from me, mind you.  Wink

The glass cutting tool, in case you're wondering, is shaped a lot like a pizza cutter, only instead of a sharp beveled edge, it's a blunt diamond studded edge.  You grind slowly away and either break off the piece you need, or just grind all the way through.  I've never done this myself, so I'm just throwing it out there as an option for you to be aware of.

As far as the best way to get acrylic to bond to acrylic, I refer to the 'pins' method, as seen on ReefCentral.  I'm sure if you use the search function here, you'll find something good posted by talented individuals locally.  (I'm looking at you, jfinch...  if that IS your real name!)

Anyway.  Since I've never done it I don't want to be the blind leading the blind...  Here's the link to ReefCentral:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=724fbc808a979c802db0dbdabdbb9828&threadid=169326&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 9:29pm
Thanks for the info, I may need that advice in the future however  the sump I have is acrylic and I have the pieces of acrylic to put in it.  I will look at the link you gave me, thanks!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 10:28pm
My pleasure.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 11:50pm

The best way to glue acrylic to acrylic is using one of the Weld-on glues.  The fit up needs to be pretty good without any gaps.  The sump needs to be clean and dry.  For baffles, I'd set them in place and wick some weld-on 4 (or 3) into the joint.  Then fill in any voids with weld-on 16.

But I have also seen people just use silicone to glue in the baffles.  Silicone doesn't bond very well to acylic so don't ever use it for the main seams, but it'll hold fine for baffles... and who cares how it looks. 

Good luck!  and post pics.
Dreaming View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 6:56am

Weldon #40 would be a one shot deal in my opinion.. as it is thick and you would spread it on just like silicone to glass... with a popsicle stick.. and be done period :) Just my opinion though..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 11:51am
jon, what does it mean to 'wick' in there, anyway?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 12:02pm
Chris, the thin glue (weld-on 3 and 4) will be pulled into any close fitting joint by capillary action (that's how I use the term "wick").  I add glue at a rate that assures that the complete joint is "wet". 

Wick = as in how wax wicks up the wick of a candle.
Dreaming View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 12:07pm
Heat helps the wic as they would call it as well.. It literally lucks like it is sucking the liquid through the crevace.. And then it melts both surfaces together..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 12:08pm
Interesting.

I should get some scrap acrylic and some weld-on and experiement.

Where's the best place to buy acrylic and weld-on?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 1:07pm

Regional Supply, just off 33rd south

They have scrap acrylic for very cheap and glue.  A pint of Weld-on 4 is about $5 and you'll need an applicator bottle (less then $1).  Weld-on 16 can be bought in smaller quantities and is thick and viscous like a syrup.  And as Dreaming mentioned, Weld-on 40 is a two part glue that is mixed up kind of like epoxy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 5:14pm
Sweet.

Thanks.
KludgeGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KludgeGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 7:16pm
Anybody know a good place to buy Acrylic sheet?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 8:19pm
Regional
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 12:20am
To find acrylic -Big garbage clean up day! LOL!LOL 
Dreaming View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 12:32am
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Regional Supply, just off 33rd south

They have scrap acrylic for very cheap and glue.  A pint of Weld-on 4 is about $5 and you'll need an applicator bottle (less then $1).  Weld-on 16 can be bought in smaller quantities and is thick and viscous like a syrup.  And as Dreaming mentioned, Weld-on 40 is a two part glue that is mixed up kind of like epoxy.

THats where I got mine to repair my tank :)
bruiseandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiseandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by ClimbRocks ClimbRocks wrote:

Anybody know a good place to buy Acrylic sheet?
Seem to have better luck with cuts and friendliness at delvies plastics...prices are better too. on 23rd so and west temple IIRC
Ogden UT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic