Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clams Clams Clams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clams Clams Clams
    Posted: February 26 2007 at 2:42pm
So quick question on clams.  I know they require pretty intense lighting.  I have a 130 watt Coralife PC fixture on my 29 gal.  Is this enough light for any clams?  If so what kind is going to be my best bet?
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
acuramech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acuramech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 3:19pm
i had a clam in my 29 gallon tank.  i had 2x65w pc on there...  the clam seemed to do ok.  think it is a squamosa?  not 100% sure, i suck with the names.
"TANKLESS"
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 3:27pm
Your best bet would be with a lower light clam. Such as a Squamosa or Derasa.

Dosing occassionally with Phyto wouldnt hurt either.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 3:42pm
Cool thanks guys!  Just out of curiosity, how would and anemone do under those lights, I'm assuming a condy would be fine, but what about a Bubble Tip?

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 4:19pm
I agree. Lower light clam and dose with phyto. I don't think that is enough light for a bubbletip but should be fine for a Condy or Rock Flower Anemone.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 4:28pm
Thanks Mike

Of the two anemones you mentioned, is their an advantage to one over the other one?

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 5:04pm
The Condy has long tentacles so can reach farther to sting. I have read that they can be unfriendly to anemonefish (WetWebMedia) Other than that I have never had one so have no personal experience. The Rock Flower Anemone seldom moves and likes it's foot burried in the sand. They have short (very short) tentacles and a large disc that I find attractive. Mine (3 of them) are Green with a black center and they floresce well under actinics (a pretty green.) I have never had any problems of any kind with them but this is in a 120 gallon.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 5:08pm
Okay, I found the quote from WetWebMedia: "I really would
like to know if this Condy is a risk to my tank and should be removed.
<To be honest a 12 gallon tank is no place for any anemone. Anemones are very demanding, as far as water parameters go, and they tend to wander. Condy's are not natural hosts and have been known to damage/kill fish and corals. I would return your Condy."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 5:18pm
My Rock Flower Anemone

Edited by Mike Savage - February 26 2007 at 5:19pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 5:21pm
Thats really cool looking Mike!  How big would you say it is, diameter wise?  My wife really wants an anemone, so I'm just looking around for something that she might like...  I think this is becoming a common phrase in my posts "my wife wants...."  but hey if it keeps me in the hobby Big%20smile

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 5:54pm
Fully expanded it is 3 1/2-4"

I have never spot fed it and have had it about a year. It does catch some flake and frozen food when I feed the tank and it is fun to watch it close-up and eat the food.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic