Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modified Maxijets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 11:39am
it actually created a hollow spot in the sandbed at the center bottom of the tank, and my LPS would not open up fully
Tell me about it.LOL
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
DaveB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 11:45am
Yes, and one last thing.  You absolutley have to have an easy way to turn them off for feeding, or the food will be surfaced skimmed and down in your sump before anything can eat... LOL

Dave
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 11:47am

When you set up that next tank I'd consider using a wave box of some sort.  I think they are ugly in a tank, but I have to admit they really do move water back and forth.  Who knows you may end up throwing out your mods after you get a wave box.

Adam
ps- can you tell I'm asking for a wave box for Christmas this year
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 11:49am
Well it's been my anecdotal observation in my tanks that having lots of steady (however you'd like to describe it) flow ranked a 10 in the importance scale, while converting this steady flow to be more random ranked a 2.  I would have ranked it a 1 but aesthetically I like the look that the random flow produced.

I realize I'm likely standing alone in this opinion because every speaker we bring and every article I read preaches random flow.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 12:02pm
Jon- I'm still not sold on random. 
(obviously since I don't use it)
"Alternating Laminar Flow" that is the term baby, oh yah.  That's what you're shooting for.
Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell - March 13 2007 at 12:02pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 12:08pm

But can't you have too much flow if it's in the wrong direction?  I've lost 2 LPS' because their tissue was blown right off from too much flow.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 12:32pm
Yep, true dat.  That's why you want your entire tank sloshing back and forth.... regardless of what Jake's overy paranoia tells you about the tank walking across the room or the stand collapsing.  It isn't fast flow, but it is bulk flow.
Adam
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Jon- I'm still not sold on random. 
(obviously since I don't use it)
"Alternating Laminar Flow" that is the term baby, oh yah. 

I like random. Waves crashing over a reef away from the shore and waves gently rolling into and out of the coast are two different flow patterns. the first in random and the second is laminar and alternating (with one direction -the "backwash" if you will - being a little less violent than the other).

Edited by sshm - March 13 2007 at 1:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic