Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urchin Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urchin Questions
    Posted: March 07 2007 at 3:45pm
Are pincushion urchins supposed to lose/regrow needles continually?  I know that loosing needles can be a sign of an un-healthy urchin...  Mine seems to lose like a bunch of needles at a time, but I can see little needs growing back in their place... is this normal or should I be worried.

My water quality should be good, I checked for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, all are non-existent.  PH, and Alk are both good, salinity is good.  All my fish and corals seem to be doing fine.  The only thing I can think of is that my tank runs a little hot, usually right around 81-83.

Any thoughts?
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 4:28pm
you didn't mention your calcium levels? also try feeding part of a cube of frozen brine or mysis shrimp, I will sometimes also feed a piece of frozen sea food from the meat dept.

Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 4:38pm
I don't have a calcium test Confused, is calcium important for Urchins?  (I probably sound really stupid by asking that)

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 5:32pm
Calcium is what they use to make their spines, what I am not sure of is they can get enough from scraping it off of rocks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 5:38pm
I think I better buy a calcium test kit

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 8:12pm
some LFS's will test for free, with the size of tank that you have you could also do a water change, also, get some driveway heat deicer, it is still at most of the auto zones. that is pure calcium for your tank.

Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 8:52am
I can go get some deicer after work today and a calcium test.  Will it have a negative effect on my tank if my calcium is too high (assuming I add to much deicer or something?)

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 12:06pm

THink of calcium and alk on a balance beam(teter totter) with ph as the piviot point underneath.

so you want to keep alk and calcium balanced, one of them high with the other low is bad and visa-versa.  you can have them both high and the soultion is to do nothing and let it come down on its own, likewise ph and alk can be low as long as they are both low, but this is more dangerous of a condition IHMO

don't raise either one too fast, either.

where is Jon when you need a chemistBig%20smile 
mlmforsuccess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlmforsuccess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 9:06pm
i agree, calcium is important for these and many many inverts and corals.  i haven't ever seen mine loose one of its spines!
KP Properties LLC, Real Estate Investor.
12G Nano
Chris, Provo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic