Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sick Anemone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pkcs11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkcs11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sick Anemone?
    Posted: March 08 2007 at 9:53am
I have a rosetipped anemone and some tentacles are kind of swollen or maybe knotted. It's always moving about, so I know it's alive. Pic to help explain:
Pic

Edited by pkcs11 - March 08 2007 at 11:15am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 11:35am
Are you worried because it's moving around?  Or because you don't think it looks good?  The fact that it's moving alot means it's not happy.  It should find a spot and stay there.  It's either looking for food or light.  How long have you had it?  What is your lighting and what are you feeding your tank?  What are your calcium and alkalinity levels?

pkcs11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkcs11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 11:44am
It's a vanilla aquapod, so the actinic flourescent lights.

. I just transfered him into the tank. So I think he's just getting situated. But those knot things recently formed and I was wonder if that was a bad thing.

He seems to be moving up and towards the flow.

I feed frozen brine, DTs and sometimes some marine snow.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:08pm
How long have you had the tank setup?
pkcs11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkcs11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:26pm
Tanks been running for about 6 months.
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 6:09pm
Okay. . I don't exactly see what's wrong w/ the RTBA???  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 2:05pm
After reading your other posts on the message board, I learned that this is a new tank and you recently moved everything over to the tank - not just the anemone.  And that you have a strong freshwater background (like most of us here).  As you have stated, saltwater and freshwater are very different.  One thing that is different is how you move everything from one tank to another.  If you did it correctly, the tank is still 6 months old.  If you didn't do it right, the tank is back in the cycling mode again because there will be some die-off in the liverock.  If this is the case, you need to be doing ammonia checks and 10-20% water changes weekly for at least a month (depending on your ammonia levels).

I've had 7 different anemones, so I've some experience with anemones - but certainly not as much as others on the board.  (I really just have them because of all my clownfish pairs.)  So here's my opinion about your anemone, hopefully someone else will chime in and verify it.  (I'll ask Bob K. to make sure he reads this.)

I think your anemone looked fine in the picture.  Sometimes their tenacles do strange things.  The things you want to watch for are deflated tenacles during the day.  When the lights are on, if all of them are deflated and pointing down instead of up or out, then something is definitely wrong. 

Another thing that indicates a problem is if it's moving around a lot.  Usually when you put an anemone in a tank, it should settle in a new spot within 24 hours - even if that spot is out of site.  Then, it may move again several weeks later to it's final spot.  If they are continually moving around, they are not finding a spot that meets their needs.  Something is either irritating it or it is not finding the lighting that it wants.  And since I don't understand what kind of lighting you have on your tank or the wattage, I don't know if this is the case or not.

I'm not sure how long your have had your anemone, but I question whether it is getting enough food.   DT's are for corals, frozen brine are very small and it probably doesn't catch very many of them and I don't know what marine snow is.  (Is it something for anemones?)  Frozen mysis shrimp might be a good idea.  I feed all of mine a small piece of raw cocktail shrimp once every 10 days or so just to make sure they are getting enough to eat.  If they don't want it, they just drop it.  But most of the time they eat it.

One thing that you will find with saltwater tanks is that it takes a lot of information before you can actually solve a problem. 
pkcs11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkcs11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:29am
Coast is clear.
The lil guy eventually settled in the least visible place.

But he looks way happier.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Amie Amie wrote:

After reading your other posts on the message board, I learned that this is a new tank and you recently moved everything over to the tank - not just the anemone.  And that you have a strong freshwater background (like most of us here).  As you have stated, saltwater and freshwater are very different.  One thing that is different is how you move everything from one tank to another.  If you did it correctly, the tank is still 6 months old.  If you didn't do it right, the tank is back in the cycling mode again because there will be some die-off in the liverock.  If this is the case, you need to be doing ammonia checks and 10-20% water changes weekly for at least a month (depending on your ammonia levels).

I've had 7 different anemones, so I've some experience with anemones - but certainly not as much as others on the board.  (I really just have them because of all my clownfish pairs.)  So here's my opinion about your anemone, hopefully someone else will chime in and verify it.  (I'll ask Bob K. to make sure he reads this.)

I think your anemone looked fine in the picture.  Sometimes their tenacles do strange things.  The things you want to watch for are deflated tenacles during the day.  When the lights are on, if all of them are deflated and pointing down instead of up or out, then something is definitely wrong. 

Another thing that indicates a problem is if it's moving around a lot.  Usually when you put an anemone in a tank, it should settle in a new spot within 24 hours - even if that spot is out of site.  Then, it may move again several weeks later to it's final spot.  If they are continually moving around, they are not finding a spot that meets their needs.  Something is either irritating it or it is not finding the lighting that it wants.  And since I don't understand what kind of lighting you have on your tank or the wattage, I don't know if this is the case or not.

I'm not sure how long your have had your anemone, but I question whether it is getting enough food.   DT's are for corals, frozen brine are very small and it probably doesn't catch very many of them and I don't know what marine snow is.  (Is it something for anemones?)  Frozen mysis shrimp might be a good idea.  I feed all of mine a small piece of raw cocktail shrimp once every 10 days or so just to make sure they are getting enough to eat.  If they don't want it, they just drop it.  But most of the time they eat it.

One thing that you will find with saltwater tanks is that it takes a lot of information before you can actually solve a problem. 

Amie, that sounds like the makings of a good SeaStar article. Wink

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Amie, that sounds like the makings of a good SeaStar article. Wink

Nope, sorry, that's all I got.  But thanks. Big%20smile
pkcs11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkcs11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 10:02am
Update pic, other than the anemone stretching itself around at a funky angle.
It looks like the anemone went through a growth spurt or something.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 2:08pm
Looks fantastic!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 6:33pm

I'm no expert on anemone's but I'd say it looks healty.

Mike

pkcs11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkcs11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 11:31pm
Does anyone know what an anemone looks like prior to when it begins to split?
This thing is starting to consume my 24g AP.

I love it and so does my cinnamon clown. Not sure if it's going to consume the whole tank or not.... :)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 11:16pm
I don't know what causes them to split or why they decide to split.  It's obviously not based on size because I had one that was 3 inches across and it split.  You should see a second mouth form before it splits and tenacles can sometimes start growing in the center.  If you really want it to split, spot feeding it usually helps. 
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 12:59am
The anemone looks okay (better in the first picture then the second), but may be slightly bleached and may be digesting itself (which is common if the anemone is not getting enough food) .  Are you feeding it?  RBTA are one of the easier anemones, but I would be feeding about once a week, especially with the lighting you have.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
pkcs11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkcs11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 11:41am
I feed spot feed him once a week right now.

But LFS said I can take it down to once a month if the growth is a problem.

I'm still doing once a week. Figure if it gets too big then I'll just get a bigger tank :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic