Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP SAVE MY FRIENDS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP SAVE MY FRIENDS
    Posted: March 13 2007 at 12:35am

Okay I have two separate issues here, and I'm hoping we I can use your expertiese to solve this one. 

Problem One:

My pin cushin urchin looks like he's sick Cry  I've had him for about a month in my 29 gal.  He was doing great until about a week ago when he started loosing pins.  I didn't worry too much at first because he was really active, but he hasn't moved much in the last two days (he is still alive though).  As for feeding I haven't done a whole lot other than about once a week I've given him a piece of Kreel to suppliment his algae eating.  I have my water parameters below.  If you see any issues here please let me now.  Any suggestion at this point is more than welcome.

Calcium: Between 380-400 ppm
Alkalinity: 125.3 ppm
Amonia: O
Nitrate: .05
Phosphate: 0
Salinity: 1.024 (I know this is probably a little high, I'm slowly working on bringing it down)
Temp: 80 at night, 83-84 during the day.

Problem Two:

I have a general star in my 10 gal nano.  He's alone in the tank minus a few snails and hermit crabs.  I have had him for about a month and he has been doing awesome!  He would wait at the top with one leg floating on the surface for me to feed him, way cool animal, he has become one of my favorites!  Three or four days ago I noticed a rust color orange developing on his body, (he's mostly gray with red bumps).  Over the last few days he has become very thin looking, the rust orange color has progressed and he has gone from being very active to rarely moving.  He has also stopped eating...  Here are his water parameters.

Calcium: 40 ppm
Alkalinity: 214.8 ppm
Amonia: 0
Phosphate: 0
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Salinity: 1.024 (slowly lowering)
Temp: 79 at night, 81-82 during the day.

I'm assuming he isn't doing well because either the calcium is way to low, or the alkalinity is way too high.  Also, I'm concerned because there is nitrate in his water.   What should I adjust (calcium, alkalinity) and how is the best way of going about changing things.

I did a 10% water change on both tanks tonight and change the carbon in both filters. 

If you have any ideas on what I can do to save my friends, please let me know. 

Thanks,

Tim
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 12:47am
More water changes to dilute the nitrates. It will also help to balance the calc/alc. I run my tanks at 1.025 and have for years. I would work on lowering the temp of your tanks during the day. If it raises that high now its going to be a killer in the summer. Some stars really hate high temps. Most of my tanks run in the 76night-79max day. I get anal when it crosses the 81 threshold.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 1:09am
Mine is usually at 79-80 but with just the little bit of warmth we got today it hit  84.  Yep, the fan got turned on real quick!!
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 8:12am
How new is the tanks?  Your urchin eats coraline algae.  If your tank is new, he's starving.
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 9:39am
My Urchin is actually really active this morning, so thats good news.  The star is the one I'm really worried about.  I'll do another water change tonight and see if I can get the tank levels balanced out.  Any other suggestions?

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 9:45am
Lower your temp.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 9:49am
I'll try to lower my temp.  That may be difficult though since my wife likes to keep the house at 80 degrees...

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic