FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sick apple

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sick apple
    Posted: March 20 2007 at 10:14am
I was just looking at someone's tank and they had a very sick apple.  She said it had been sick for weeks.  Does she need to get it out of the tank?  Do they release toxins when they die?  I will get a picture of it today.
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 10:57am
Yes.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 11:02am
I agree, get it out.  I think of them as little time bombs... but Jake doesn't have any problems recommending them.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 11:03am
Yes and yes. The sooner the better. I would also be running fresh carbon.

Mike

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I agree, get it out.  I think of them as little time bombs... but Jake doesn't have any problems recommending them.
Adam

This isn't quite true.  I think many people keep them in their tanks without problems.  A large sinularia or sarcophyton can also destroy a tank like a Sea Apple.  I do recommend them with a warning.

If the apple doesn't look good, I would move him to a smaller quaratine tank (20 gallon) until he recovers (or dies).
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 2:45pm
Or...

bake a pie!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 2:59pm
mmmm Cucumber pie!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 4:41pm
Well, my picture of it turned out pretty bad.  I forgot my camera and all I had was my camera phone.  So, I won't bother posting it.  She said that it hasn't had it's tenacles out for a couple of months.  It's deflated to about 1/2 the size that it was 3 weeks ago when I saw it, and it looks like it's barely hanging on to the rock it's on.   It's color is still good though.

Exactly what will it do to the tank if it dies.  And, is there any hope at this point for its survival.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 5:40pm
"So why is it that these animals are so feared by many aquarists?  Well, the simple answer is that when they are injured in the aquarium, some of these species are capable of releasing a toxic chemical soup that can poison an aquarium (reviewed by Paul 1992; Pawlik 1993). Rob Toonen Ph. D.

Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 6:14pm
Think of it this way -- there may be a way for it to survive but we dont that answer for sure. What we DO know is that IF it dies -- it is too late. Your aquarium is dead, end of story. The worse off it is doing, the more likely it is to kill everything in your tank. So is attempting to save its life worth risking your whole tank and everything in it? I say no, but it is your decision not mine.

Read the article posted by Mike -- it was very good at talking about how to keep these guys alive and how to recognize signs of starvation.

IF you REALLY want to save it, take Jake's advise and set up a 20 gallon and try and save it in there where it can't kill the rest of your tank.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 6:18pm
I've printed the article and I'll take it to her tomorrow.  Thanks everyone.

After reading that article, I don't understand why they are even available for the public.  I hate it when things are available that no one can keep and, even worse, have potential to wipe out our tanks.  It's not right. 
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:01pm
Like "tulip" anemones?
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:16pm
Hey .. I like tulip anemones.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic