Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

55gal sump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mscottd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mscottd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 55gal sump
    Posted: December 20 2002 at 8:31am
Hi, Im new to this site but have been finding some good info. I am setting up a 125gal tank for my employer, and have a 55gal tank to use as the sump. I have been trying to decide what to use.  would a plenum in the sump be worthwile? Or would a sand bed without the plenum divider be better? I have a berlin turbo that I plan to use, also a micron bag, and some smaller peices of live rock that will be in the sump. I could add a wet-dry because of the extra space that the 55 has, but it dosent sound like they are the best choice..  What would the best way to use this size of sump.. Any ideas or recomendations would be great.. thanks in advance  
Scott
mscottd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mscottd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2002 at 4:35pm
Is there any one from ogden that could maybe look at what I have and steer me in the right direction?
Scott
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2002 at 10:36am

Scott,

I recommend calling Joe and Cindy Jones.  Very knowledgeable and live in the Ogden area.  No phone for them but their email is [email protected]

Another person is Orrian Rich OrrianR@orbitonline.com

Or Aaron George  [email protected]

Hope this helps,

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2002 at 7:22pm

mscott2000,

Do you have a tank of your own already?

Why do you want to use a wet dry?

Have you heard of the use of a live sand bed?

Mark

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2002 at 10:59am

If you are doing a reef tank I would recommend a deep sand bed without a plenum (5-6").  If you are doing a fish only I would recommend wet dry and/or a fluidized bed.

Keep in mind that the plenum subject is very touch.  You will get people telling you that they would never setup a tank without a plenum and you will get people telling you they will never use one.

I don't use plenum any more, but many people do an use them successfully.  If anybody wants to hear my argument for not using a plenum I would be happy to give it, but not here and now.

Again, just my $.02.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2002 at 6:38am

mscottd,

Haven't heard from you!

If you are like most people I know, including myself, you have gone ahead and already done it. But if you are smarter than most people, and actually want to use others advice, I recommend coming to the next WMAS meeting, Thursday Jan. 2nd. You can pick up the latest cutting edge methods and technology or at least learn what others have had success with!

Everyone is welcome. Membership is not required.

Please read my recent post under the topic "wet dry"

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic