Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Open Brain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rod M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Open Brain
    Posted: March 26 2007 at 4:45pm
  I acquired an open brain a few weeks ago and it seemed to be doing well. Opened at night but was only extended maybe halfway up the skeleton. Now it seems that the tissue is receding in three places. What can cause this?

Thanks

Rod Murri
Clearfield,Utah
24g JBJ Nanocube -
90g main/ 30g sump
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 4:49pm
what are your alkalinity and calcium levels at? Also do you dose with phyto or spot feed the brain at all?
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 6:09pm
Can you post a pic of what it looks like?
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
Rod M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 6:34pm
 My alk is at 11, Cal 550.  I did a 4 gal water change Friday. I
changed carbon also. It started retracting maybe Wednesday.
 I have a lot of sand and the other corals are doing pretty well. I feed Chromoplex  once a week. I worry that it may be toxins from a tree leather or xenia? It is downstream about 9" from them. In a nano there isn't much room. Lighting hasn't changed. 
Can I set it on rock? I could get it above them that way, but I have read that they like sand.

I haven't tried to post any pics yet. How do I do that?

Edited by Rod M. - March 26 2007 at 6:57pm
Rod Murri
Clearfield,Utah
24g JBJ Nanocube -
90g main/ 30g sump
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Rod M. Rod M. wrote:

I haven't tried to post any pics yet. How do I do that?

To post a picture the image must be of the type, jpg, jpeg, gif, png, and have a maximum file size of 60KB. For best viewing your picture should be 72 dots per inch. You can do this in your favorite picture editing software. A good way to resize pictures is to download the free windows utility: “Image Resizer” You can find it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

On the right side of the screen  click on “ImageResizer.exe”

You must click on the “New Topic”, “Quote” or “Reply” button. You can not post a picture from the “Quick Reply” box at the bottom of the screen.

At the top of the “Edit Post” window there are Icons. Select the 7th button from the left. That is the one that looks like a tree and is directly above the

Next click on the “Browse” button below the “Image Properties” box on the left side of the screen.

Locate the picture file on your computer and click on it.

Next click on the “Upload” button and select “OK

You just agreed to “Please be patient while the image is being uploaded to the server.”

This is here for a reason: you need to be patient!

Once you can see the image in the “Preview” box on the right side of the screen you can click on “OK” some text will show up first but you need to wait for the image.

That’s it!

One point of etiquette. If you are uploading more than one picture put a carriage return (hit the “Enter” key) after each one. This way the pictures will be below one another instead of side by side. This will prevent having to scroll sideways to read text in the post and to view the pictures.

Mike

Rod M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 1:14pm
 Color still looks good, but flesh has moved further down the septa.

I'm trying to get a less fuzzy pic. (Who knew by becoming a reefer I'd need to learn photo editing,carpentry,plumbing,etc??

Edited by Rod M. - March 27 2007 at 1:16pm
Rod Murri
Clearfield,Utah
24g JBJ Nanocube -
90g main/ 30g sump
Rod M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 10:11pm
Rod Murri
Clearfield,Utah
24g JBJ Nanocube -
90g main/ 30g sump
Rod M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 10:16pm
  O.k. that worked, sorta!
The dark blobby stuff is small hair algae clumps stuck to septa after the brain retracted. Upper right is worst now. I sorta force fed it some shrimp, set it in its mouth, earlier.The shrimp is gone now.
Rod Murri
Clearfield,Utah
24g JBJ Nanocube -
90g main/ 30g sump
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 8:05pm
I hate to say it but that does not look like it is going to make it at all.  What kind of light do you have it under mine is at the top of my tank and seems to love it even though its not in the sand
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
Rod M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 7:35am
  Yeah, I'm worried!  All the flesh is still there, though, and healthy, just bunched up toward the center. Looks like an irratated mushroom.The color is still good  so I am thinking too much light.
  I have it under 2 CF, 32watts, I think, on the bottom. I just moved it under an overhang. I wonder if it was too much too fast?

Some sources (books, mag articles, websites,etc.) say they will do this on occasion and then recover--or not-- they don't state what "or not" means. Do they just stay bunched up or melt away? Just another learning experience!!

Rod Murri
Clearfield,Utah
24g JBJ Nanocube -
90g main/ 30g sump
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 5:13pm
Maybe it was not getting enough food??? so it is shrinking, then maybe it will just stay that same size.  Does it come out onto the outer skeleton at all or is it just staying buched up?  Have you tried feeding it at all?  Have you seen what it looks like at night?

When mine is feeding you can almost watch it.  and you can definetly watch its mouth open.

Edited by Jhamb - March 29 2007 at 5:14pm
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
Rod M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 7:52am

I am afraid my brain is history!!

It has come off its skeleton to one mouth and rapidly advancing to the others. The color of its flesh is still good, however.

I have been feeding it , but now the mouths are constantly open.I would assume that if it were hungry, or not getting enough light, it would be expanded all the time.
   Alk and calcium are good.  All the other corals(softies, one three polyp Blasto, one Pipe Organ colony (( I got the P. O. as a frag at the same time as the Brain)) are growing and even multiplying. The Blasto is in the same area as the brain.
 (same light,current, etc.) 
Rod Murri
Clearfield,Utah
24g JBJ Nanocube -
90g main/ 30g sump
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 6:46pm
Well then the only logical reason is that it must not like you.  either that or it didnt like the parameters of your tank be they good or not.  Did you acclimate it or just throw it in your tank when you first got it?
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
Rod M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 10:23pm
 No, I acclimated it. It seemed to be doing well for a couple weeks, although I felt it wasn't extending as fully as it should at night. The blasto frag had done the same, but is doing great now.
Rod Murri
Clearfield,Utah
24g JBJ Nanocube -
90g main/ 30g sump
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic