Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPS and Cyano

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pickensw View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickensw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPS and Cyano
    Posted: March 27 2007 at 5:28pm
It looks like I am getting some Cyano on the tips of 2 and maybe 3 of my sps frags. Is there any that I can do to get rid of it. I did remove some of it from a monti but it's back.

Thanks,
Will
ct79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ct79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 5:36pm
I had this problem with my green slimer.  I just upped the flow and that worked for me.  After a couple days the cyano was gone.  Have you tested your phosphate/nitrate levels?  
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 5:36pm
I have been fighting cyano in my big tank for a month. I got tired of fighting it and dosed my tank with chemi clean last friday night. It was a complete success and no harm to my coral or anything else except the cyano.  I now have my tank backBig%20smile.Thumbs%20Up
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
ct79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ct79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 5:46pm
I've tried Chemiclean in the past with good temporary success.  But if you do not get to the root of the problem, it will come back within a week or two.  Just my experience.  
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 6:20pm
Keep your alkilinity and flow up if possible. You can blow off the re slime with a turkey baster, but it will come back in a day if you can't correct the problem. Queen conches will eat cyano. If you use red slime remover, make sure you do a huge water change, run your skimmer like crazy and run lots of carbon afterward.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 7:01pm
Hi Will,

I agree with increasing the flow as cyano doesn't like higher flow areas.

I would also think of recharging your sand bed if you have one, ensure your skimmer is tuned as well as possible, and that your alkalinity is above 8dKH or 2.9meq/l.

Chemi-clean works great to remove the symtems but does not address the cause.  I have used it a few times with very good success.  Just follow the directions exactly and you should be fine.

Thanks,

Scott
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
pickensw View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickensw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 9:01am

Sorry all... It's been nuts here at work..

I should have known that there was going to be a problem......about a week and a half ago I had a power head slip off the glass part way and pointed almost straight down. Well to say the least the sand bed was disturbed. I'm sure that’s my problem. At times my skimmer goes nuts, it overflows in about 2 or 3 min and then later I have to restrict the flow to get it to skim.

I guess I need to just watch it and not make to many drastic changes.

Thanks,

Will

Edited by pickensw - April 04 2007 at 9:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic