Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

do i need supplement for a reef

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do i need supplement for a reef
    Posted: March 29 2007 at 4:51pm
do i need to put iodine, calcium, strontium molybdeum in my reef
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 4:59pm
Depends, what are you keeping?  I dose only ca and alk to keep my sps happy.
60g LPS Cube
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 5:01pm
i dont have one type i get wat looks good
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 5:46pm
Well you may want to try some other things before dosing... water quality, movement and lighting are all very important and should be considered before adding a bunch of chemicals.
60g LPS Cube
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 6:03pm
i already am useing those things i was wondering if i could stop
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 6:07pm
only add what you test for, and regular water changes are the best "medicine" for a tank.

those additives are usually in the quick fix cure category, and usually make things worse in the long run. IMHO

I recently started changing water at 5 gallons per week, tank is doing much better, and salt is cheep compared to all of those additives.

Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 6:24pm
wat would happen if i stoped today would the coral die
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 6:38pm
It depends on what type of corals and their needs. The only way to know is to test or stop and see if they thrive, survive, or die.

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 6:40pm
test don't guess.

Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 11:01pm
All I do is add about 5 gallons of fresh tap water to my tank about once a week and they all seem to be doing fine.(corals)  I have not had any problems I used to do water changes then I stopped because I was still having to add water quite often.

Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
ct79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ct79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 1:59am
If you do regular water changes, you shouldn't have to add any "additives" to your tank.  All of that stuff is just so these "companies" can make money off of you!  Having said that, depending on what are keeping, there are some additives that are needed to be kept around just in case something is a little off.  I think the base additives that should be kept around are Calcium, Alk, Magnesium.  That is pretty much all I add to my tank and the two of the three are provided in Kalkwasser. Big%20smile 

I am a big believer in regular water changes to keep your tank happy.  you are actually doing a couple things when you change your water:

1) replenishing your tank with needed additives (iodine, strontium, trace elements, etc). 

2) Export excess nutrients (nitrates, phosphate, etc). 

I change out 8-10% of my water every week and my corals are growing and doing very well.  Oh, I also add amino acids here and there.  My SPS seem to love it. 

Edited by ct79 - March 30 2007 at 2:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic