Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new experiment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new experiment
    Posted: April 01 2007 at 6:07pm
I was just playing around with my tank this morning and figured something out. I turned off the 3000k and aquablue+ T5HO lights and only kept my two actinic lights on for about an hour. I had beautiful polyp extension on all SPS polyps and had some nice flouurescence as well. Then i suddenly switched off the actinics and turned on the daylight bulbs. This never happens in my tank, always the actinic lights come on first and while they are still on the daylight bulbs come on, so I never normally get to see what happens.
Two things happened, first the polyps immediately and suddenly retracted from the harsh light. This caused my surface water level to drop from the sudden combined loss of mass in the water column! The second thing was even more amazing, I rolled a magazine and pressed it against the front wall (a stethoscope would also work but I dont have one) the moment when the actinics went off and the daylights came on simulteneously I hear a mild "crack" in the water. I repeated this annd opbserved it happen everyime.
So in short, keep the actinics on for sometime (it doesnt matter if all polyps are not fully extended, only a few are needed). Then suddenly switch off the actinics and turn on the daylights at almost the same time. You will see the water level drop and also hear a faint crack. Dont press your ear to the tank wall, you wont hear it since the hum of the pumps will drown the sound out. Try it.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2007 at 6:49pm

That's incredible.  I just tried it too, very interesting!

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2007 at 8:46pm
What?Stern%20Smile
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2007 at 9:04pm

OK. Now I've got to try that.

Never mind. MH take too long to come on.

Mike

sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2007 at 11:50pm
reposting jfinch's original comment (i.e. before I asked him to change it)

"I am not an April Fool" or something to that effect

EDIT: since its only about 1hr left in the day anyways.

Edited by sshm - April 01 2007 at 11:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic