Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chocolate Chip Stars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chocolate Chip Stars
    Posted: April 06 2007 at 12:48am
One of our members bought a Chocolate Chip Star at the meeting tonight thinking it would be good in his reef. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew they are not reef safe. I got this info from MarineDepotLive.com

"The Chocolate Chip Sea Stars have dull spines, bumps or knobs on their dorsal surface often in contrasting colors. This species is hardy but is an aggressive feeder and will be more than happy to mount and consume sessile invertebrates including clams, urchins, oysters, anemones, and all manner of corals (soft and stony). Is also known to prey on sleeping, slow or weak fish. If it can catch it, it will eat it."

Mike

Rhine Lenhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhine Lenhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 12:51am
I agree.  i had one B4 and they do love corals.
will not touch much else.LOL

55 Gal Reef.
30 Gal Fuge.

957-9197
2007 presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 1:13am
Rhine,

I missed seeing you at the meeting tonight.

Mike

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 2:34am
Hey Rhine, we finally go to a meeting and you're not there! What's up with that? LOL.  On the chocolate chip star, I almost bought one once at a lfs and as I was talking about it to the employee a customer informed me that they aren't reef safe.  It was pretty sad the owner of the store had no idea! Anyway, I hope the person that bought it tonight knows, I would hate for them to lose thier coral.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 7:41am
Originally posted by frednwilma1999 frednwilma1999 wrote:

Anyway, I hope the person that bought it tonight knows, I would hate for them to lose thier coral.

Yes they do!Wink

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic