Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goby or Blenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2007 at 11:55pm
Thank you for the info I was thinking about buying one. But I will wait a year or so. I do not want to starve the little guy. I thought they may be closely related.
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
juliusjammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliusjammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 8:52am
anyone have ideas how to entice a mandarin to eat frozen?  Will they eat Cyclop-ezee?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 9:21am
I have no idea. I have only ever seen mine eat pods. They are very slow deliberate eaters and need to have food available all the time.

Mike

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 10:23am
I slowly weened my mandarin off of live and onto frozen with the help of Chris at fish 4 U.

It was a pain in the rear.

Here is what I did. I obtained a large syringe (like the kind they give you after getting your wisdom teeth pulled) and attached a small length of flexible airline hose and then a long piece of rigid tube that could reach into the tank with out having to put my hands in the water (So you don't scare the fish).

I then bought some live food from Chris (brine and freshwater bloodworms) I would suck the live food into the tube and spot feed the mandarin. After a while he knew that the tube meant food and he would swim right to it once it was in the water. I slowly started adding frozen brine and mysis to the tube. When he would eat the frozen from the tube without any problems I started to become messy when feeding so he had some competition from the other fish. With time I was able to feed it with the other fish, but he is still quite a slow eater (gotta eyeball that food real good before going after it).

I think the real secret to these fish is tons of live rock and no competitive eaters in the tank (they will deplete your pod population). I started him in a 55g but he is way happier and fatter in my 150g.

I have had the fish for about 3 years now, they are very good fish if you can keep them fed.

Hope that helps.
Jeff Rasmussen

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 11:20am
Originally posted by jeffras jeffras wrote:

I have had the fish for about 3 years now, they are very good fish if you can keep them fed.

I agree they are beautiful and have colors we just can't get in other reef-safe fish. It is fun to watch them eat and I enjoy the way they swim or hover around the tank. They are also a very healthy fish.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic