Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

zoanthids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zoanthids
    Posted: December 29 2002 at 9:49am

Sorry 2 questions. I would like to move some zoanthids I have to another rock. Could someone tell me how to do this safley? Also I have a mushroom I would like to move. How do you safley romve it from its rock?

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2002 at 10:11am

Pistonfister,

Mushrooms are easy.  Just take a pair of scissors (like sewing scissors or something very small and sharp) and cut the mushroom stem off so that the head floats away.  Then you can glue the head onto a new rock, and the stem will grow a new head within a few weeks.  As for zoanths you can also cut the stems and glue the heads to other rocks, but this is rare.  Most people don't move them, they just let them grow over onto new rocks.  Maybe someone else can be more helpful than me.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2002 at 5:26pm
I agree with the scissor part of Adam's message - however, I have had no luck trying to glue mushrooms. They are too slimy for that in my opinion. I just take a toothpick and stab them to a rock. The just grow around the toothpick and you can remove it at that point. Other people have had luck with rubber bands - and yet other people use bridal veil.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2002 at 7:43pm

You can also place them in a container of course sand where the current doesn't move them around. They will attach to a piece of sand and then you can super glue the sand to a rock. Tom Miller of Cache County devised this method. He also cuts the mushrooms into many pieces so that there will be more propagated mushrooms to attach.

Mushrooms in my old tank used to pinch off all the time. I was lazy and just let them end up in the corner where they attached to rubble. I gave away hundreds. Sorry, that tank is gone, so no more free mushrooms.

Mark

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2002 at 7:49pm

Oh regarding zooanthids. They take okay to superglue but anytime you can scrap or chisel two connected polyps off at once, the elastic can go between them to hold them to a rock.

All elastics are not created equal. The tan kind the LFS use are best. There are several sizes. Others seem to have some chemical irritant.

A piece of Saran type plastic food wrap is totally non irritating to coral. Use that between the elastic and the coral if irritation is a problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic