Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thursday Meeting: Tank set-up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chem Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thursday Meeting: Tank set-up
    Posted: January 28 2004 at 10:38am
One suggestion before the meeting this comming Thursday is to e-mail out a quick survey to all WMAS members about everyone's first reef set-up. For example:

-What lights? (MH, PC, VHO, etc.)
-What substrate? (DSB, plennum, grain size, etc.)
-Tank size?
-Sump/refugium?
--Filtration?
-Temperature?
-Addatives?
-Reef Janitors?
-Live Rock/dead rock/both/how much?
-Fish? (What kinds best, when to add)
-What to look for in used equipment, first time out?
-What lessons learned from first set-up for a second reef set-up? (eg. If I had it to do over again....)
-Etc....

This would allow some sort of graphical comparison of popular methods. I'm bringing a friend down with the monthly Logan carpool, and he is just about to embark on the equipment purchasing stage. Something else along the lines of 'equipment I purchased that I wish I hadn't' might be good since many information sources (like books) push lots of equipment. Anyway, just and idea and my $0.02 worth!

Regards,
Jim LaMunyon

Richmond, Utah
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2004 at 11:58am

I know that on Reef Central you can search for a couple topics where people have said "best thing I ever bought" and also "worst money I ever spent" and things like that.

I think it would be a good idea to have a poll on this site and keep track of that.  Otherwise I may get 200 emails with info that I would have to compile.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2004 at 11:58am

Also,

what look for in the first couple of months.  For example, algea blooms.  What types of algae is good/bad (what does it look like).

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic