Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Aquarium Creations Aquarium Creations wrote:

I think it may be time to change like some of the other forums around, once you sign up you have to be approved before you can post.

Manual user authorization can be a lot of work and you can't always spot a spammer before they post. It also limits valid new users to a point that keeps them from returning. 

Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

This person has just copied previous posts in all of his/her posts. IP blocked!

Might I suggest actually deleting the SPAM accounts and not just blocking the IP or deleting the related posts. 

For a spammer account here is what we do (on other sites) to ease SPAM posts. 

-Delete all posts (removes links current and any future ones) One trick used is to make a generic post with no links, then come back and edit the post later but with added SPAM and links. This can go un-noticed for a long time.  (Only allowing post edits by paid members can help here too)
-Block the IP (Many spammers use the same IP for multiple accounts)
-Delete the USER. Spammers often use auto account creation with password savers. Deleting the account makes them start all over and will often be more work than they will bother with. It also completely invalidates the site to any scripted/automated tools being used to post SPAM. It breaks their scripting and this can free the server from having to service automated post attempts because they can't even login. 

If for some reason we don't want to delete accounts, limiting a brand new user can help. ie Only allow posts to the Introductions and/or emergency forum. After an intro post or some other valid attempt at site use, a new level of user can be applied. You could also move an offending party to a group of shame and label them as spammers that have no posting rights. This is better than nothing but the server may eventually have to contend with dozens or even hundreds of post attempts from these "valid" accounts as they continue to login and attempt to post.

Anyhow, thanks to the Leadership/Mods for the effort keeping the site cleaned up. It's a frustrating, thankless, and often unnoticed role.

Edited by JohnnyHeavens - December 26 2013 at 9:10am
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:12am
I know many other forums that dont allow someone to post till verified, I dont belive we have that many new accounts being set up daily ( I could be wrong ) for it to be alot of work no more work then deleting spam post. Im not saying my way is the only way but other forums do this for the same problems we are having.
Jusy my .02
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:13am
Another thought, if we aren't using the Moderator role outside of the "Leadership", perhaps expand this role to a select few that can at the least, quarantine suspected posts and users. 
@Home
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:47am
I'm not web-techy (I'll leave that to Jake), but I can say that we are doing most of these techniques suggested (blocking IP address, removing the account, removing the posts, etc.) When we find a spammer, we bulk remove all of their posts, PM's, and submit their IP address to a blacklist. Unfortunately, most IP addresses are dynamic, so IP blocking is not very effective. We also block IP addresses on the blacklist.

We've found many of our spammers will actually go through the trouble of creating an actual profile (with age, fake location, hobbies, etc.) Sometimes their posts will actually be somewhat relevant...or they will copy a previous post to look relevant. Editing these valid posts with spam links later is a problem. Also, we do have quite a few members joining every day (many of which are spammers, but many are valid). Validating each one has pros...but also a lot of cons.

As to what more we can do...I'll leave that to Jake and the rest of the Presidency. Only a few more days until it's no longer my problem too.       
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Live Rock N Reef View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live Rock N Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:49am
thank you
The LOWEST price for aquarium supply on the internet!!
and the most INCREDIBLE LIVE ROCK on the PLANET!!
Live Rock n Reef
Phone: 813-333-1847

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Live Rock N Reef Live Rock N Reef wrote:

thank you
+1

I'm sure you guys are doing them. It's a crappy thing that so much effort is required for the task! Thanks for all you do!
@Home
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 10:02am
Wish I had a better response. I'm sure there's a more fool-proof way to block them, but that's beyond me.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Wish I had a better response. I'm sure there's a more fool-proof way to block them, but that's beyond me.

No fool-proof way we've ever found. Some forum softwares are better than others but still, after all the steps you can take, it still takes effort and diligence from people.
@Home
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live Rock N Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 9:31am
just do the best you can,
Live Rock n Reef
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 9:53am
Another fairly easy measure that we use is, instead of deleting the spammers account, we simply change the users password and their email address (normally used for password recovery) that way they are not able to login again but we can track any New IP's that they try to use to access an account that they have created. It allows us to automate some of the IP blocking and track how active a specific spammer is at trying to use the accounts.

Pretty simple to setup and takes no more time to manage than is already being spent. Krazie

Edited by Krazie4Acans - December 30 2013 at 9:54am
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:07am
I said it before, bob gave me a list of offending IP addresses and they were all in china.  It is VERY easy to block all ip addresses from China, which that one step has always worked well for me in the past and cut WAY down on the amount of crap that can get through.  China is a documented block of ip addresses.

Mac
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:14am
I think we should ad another position to the presidency, forum spam control. I put my vote in for Barry ( Bmac2 )
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:18am
The person who does it HAS to be whoever's server it is, they have to be root/admin on the server.  that is NOT me, and I am sure whoever's server we ride on isn't going to want me poking around on it. 
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Live Rock N Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:25am
i vote bmac2 also
Live Rock n Reef
CCrabtree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrabtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 2:48pm

Edited by CCrabtree - June 01 2015 at 6:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic