Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

eductors give better flow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eductors give better flow
    Posted: May 05 2007 at 9:32am
I have been following a thread on reefcentral about making your own eductors for the return outlets on my closed loop, they are easy to build and work very well, if anyone would like help to try and build one let me know.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1099596&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

http://seahobby.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1176700364/12#12

Edited by bbeck4x4 - May 05 2007 at 9:33am
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 10:01am
If memory serves me correctly they work well with pressure rated pumps. With pumps such as the Dart they are counter productive. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Mike

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 11:14am
Mike is correct. you have to have a pressure rated pump for them to work correctly ..
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 11:59am
correct you are supposed to use a pressure rated pump, this design is not as dependent on that, what it is really doing IMHO is taking the nozzle effect away and replacing it with a wide dispersed  random flow, (as compared to the lockline nozzles)
  This design is using a 7/16" nozzle size so any pump that can push through that large of a nozzle will see improvements. It is defiantly better than just straight nozzles. ( I made mine at 1/2" so less restriction on the pump)
the dart is rated for moderately low head pressure so four nozzles are not a problem for the dart. (2 at 3/4 2 at 1/2)
 when I close the other two nozzles down,  the eductors start pulling so much water that they are starting a syphon and make massive bubbles in the waterThumbs%20Up
( on the dart pump )

The Dart™ is the quietest pump on the market. Ideal applications for this unit are aquariums 100- 200 gallons. The Dart™ is great for close loop reef systems requiring high turnover. This unit is rated for moderately low head pressure and a maximum flow rate of 3600gph, shut off head of 12 feet and a maximum wattage of 160/ 1.4 amps. Our low speed, 1/8 HP Hubbel® motors have extremely low heat transfers.

Edited by bbeck4x4 - May 05 2007 at 12:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 12:07pm
Sounds awesome. I'm glad it's working out! Clap

Mike

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 1:02pm
A little more on restriction on dart pumps,

Quote from Reeflo/Sequence

"Valving Back a ReeFlo Pump
You can always restrict the flow of the pump ON THE DISCHARGE side.
It is good for the pump and following occurs:
• Lower watt consumption: You cause the pump to operate further back on the curve.
• It extends the life of the motor: contrary to popular opinion a valve back causes the pump to operate closer to its highest efficiency point.
• It extends the life of the seal: less water abrasion
• It runs quieter

Mike you need to try this, it is greatThumbs%20Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 1:26pm
I agree. Restricting the flow on the Dart does work very well if done on the discharge side.

Mike

Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 8:38am
Yes, you can run the Dart and eductors.  However, the commerically available eductors are more efficient using a pressure-rated pump. 
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 9:07am
Originally posted by bbeck4x4 bbeck4x4 wrote:

if anyone would like help to try and build one let me know.

Me! me!

So, how big is it? Like a coke can?

Burton Marine View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burton Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 11:58am

Penductors (Penguin brand eductors) are amazing when powered by a pressure rated pump. 

A good solution to make an Iwaki or Pan World/Blueline pressure rated pump quieter is to remove the cooling fan and replace it with a computer CPU heatsink and quiet computer fan.

Looks like a fun DIY project.

Steve

JS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 1:25pm
Hey Brian, got all of the parts except the 1/2" BARB X 3/4" MALE THREAD NPT RISER FLEX ADAPTER. I looked for this at lowes but cold only find one with the hex nut on the barb side of the 3/4 thread so it would not be able to screw into the spigot. I guess if I can't find the right part I could grind down the hex part so it would fit through the 3/4 inch female thread of the spigot. Let me know. Thanks, Jason

Edited by JS - May 07 2007 at 1:26pm
Be careful who watches your tank! http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27846
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 6:47pm
the part you are looking for is over in the funny pipe area? it is black with  a hose barb end and a threaded end on the other.

as far as size maybe a v-8 juice can? 2" in diameter and maybe 2 1/2" long. I already was set up for 3/4 inch lockline on my closed loop so I just threaded these in.

Brian

JS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 3:56am

Thanks Brian, I will check it out.

Be careful who watches your tank! http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27846
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 4:51pm
http://www.modularhose.com/merchant...Category_Code=6

for those that want to attach these to lockline hose.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic