Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Banners in Stores

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banners in Stores
    Posted: May 23 2007 at 10:38am
I think Heil should make it his goal to get WMAS banners in all the local pet stores.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 11:03am
Good Idea.  I found out about the WMAS at a fish store,  It wasn't from an employee but a customer that overheard us talking and suggested we look at the board.  I have done the same thing to people in stores.  It would be great to have something in the stores with the WMAS on it!

Edited by frednwilma1999 - August 19 2007 at 11:36pm
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 1:35pm
I think Heil should make it his goal to get WMAS banners in all the local pet stores.

Baby steps, Adam. Baby steps.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 5:38pm
Great idea!

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

I agree, We have come a long way in the last 3 years with the Local shops. I think that would be pushing it right now.  Patience is the key.Big%20smile
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 1:58pm
Adam,

Thanks for this awesome suggestion!

I hope the LFS(s) know how much they are appreciated and how much their support over the last couple of years has benefited the WMAS. It has certainly been a refreshing change to work with our local store owners.

Anyway, although it would be great to have huge banners in the stores, I would be satisfied to get a few business cards out to their customers!

Did you all know that WMAS cards have a nice listing of ideal tank parameters on the back? Everyone with a salt water tank should have one handy. If you don't have one, ask your LFS or check out the membership table at the next WMAS meeting!
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 9:41pm
We should probably update the LFS Page as well it seems out of Date

And why is it called Local Pet Stores?

Ewaldsreef should be added and I am pretty sure that Aquatic Dreams Moved
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

As much as I feel that WE in the WMAS should be grateful for the level of support that SOME of the locals LFS' give our Club and its members...

I don't think ALL of the LFS clearly understand or appreciate HOW MUCH EXPOSURE, BUSINESS, and $$$ OUR CLUB STEERS TOWARDS *** THEM***

So, Personally, I favor "pushing" just a little Wink

Edited by carlso63 - October 09 2007 at 12:05am
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 9:05am

Is there a WMAS banner/poster available for LFS's?  I'm sure Urban Aquatics would hang one proudly. 

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 9:13am
We have one banner that I know of.  But if a store is willing to hang up a banner we'll have one printed up just for them! 
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 9:16am
I'm pretty sure we can hang one up.  I'll pm you.
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 11:35am
Originally posted by carlso63 carlso63 wrote:

I don't think ALL of the LFS clearly understand or appreciate HOW MUCH EXPOSURE, BUSINESS, and $$$ OUR CLUB STEERS TOWARDS *** THEM***

I don't think anyone can actually quantify this statement except the individual LFS themselves. It may very well be that the very existence of this club takes away from some of the sales for the LFS. This has been discussed here many times.

I know there are a couple smaller stores that make there presence known on the message board and cater to the club members, but what would the impact be to these stores if all LFS in the area did the same?

This is a great club and it is my opinion that the club is a club and the stores are stores. We have very different purposes and we should not try to associate ourselves too much with any store. There are some stores that I just do not like for different reasons. If I didn't know better and saw the wmas plastered all over these stores I might feel the same way about the clubs just because of the association (happens more then you think). I think we have a good balance and if a LFS wants to get involved because they see an opportunity for more sales then they will do so.

Lets focus on helping people out with their tanks and discussing aquarium related topics and let the fish stores focus on making a living by selling aquarium supplies.

My opinion anyway.

Edited by jeffras - October 09 2007 at 11:36am
Jeff Rasmussen

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 1:17pm
Jeff:

I would put forth the idea that for every dollar a LFS "loses" due to this Club (like someone buying corals or used equipment from a Club thread instead of at a retail store) they gain at least double that, maybe more, because of this Club.

Newbies come here for the (good) advice or for help solving problems... many end up being successful enough to remain in the hobby, even eventually expanding their involvement (upgrading to bigger / better equipment, adding another tank or more); whereas a large majority who do not get this type of "help" end up quitting the hobby because it is "too difficult, too expensive, everything I buy ends up dying no matter what I do..."

The 'attrition rate' in this hobby is still very high. I would take an educated guess that as many as 50% of new SW hobbyists either "go back to FW" (if that's where they 'came' from) or quit the hobby alltogether within the first year because they get frustrated with a lack of success and almost feel like they are getting "ripped off" by LFS' all too willing to sell them even more equipment and livestock but never really fixing the problem of "everything dying"... And I base that opinion on the years I spent working at 2 different LFS' back in NY... now, maybe it is not exactly the same here in the SL Valley, but I would bet is is a similar pattern. And remember also, I am talking about those newbies who "go it alone", without the benefit of unbiased advice like they would get at a site like the WMAS...

I would also put forth that the Club brings people to the LFS in the first place. When I first came to Utah, I had no idea we had so many options when it came to LFS'... coming to this website I learned about stores I never knew existed. In the beginning I knew of 1 LFS and I made all my purchases there - or online. Now, thanks to info gained from this site, I frequent probably half a dozen LFS regularly, and hardly ever go online for stuff anymore.

Now, in this instance, did the Club cause an LFS to lose revenue? The honest answer is yes, the 1 LFS that I knew about prior to the Club still gets some of my business - just not all of it... however, the other 5 LFS gained business from me that they never would have had at all if it wasn't for the Club. Furthermore, I can honestly say I spend more total dollars on this hobby, period, because of the amount of choices, selection and variety the multiple LFS' I discovered through the Club can offer vs. patronizing only 1 establishment.  And - importantly - since I now know the locations of many LFS' here locally, I will almost always search them for a particular item I want or need vs. previously, when if the 1 store I patronized didn't have something I ended up just going online and ordering from an out-of-state retailer... so nobody "local" benefitted at all. 

And, having visited this board for awhile now, I know that I'm not the only one in the same situation. We get a fairly steady stream of new 'guests' (as well as new members) asking about LFS locations in their local area, where to buy a particular item, "who carries such-and-such brand", etc. (Just look for all the Mike Savage "Welcome!" posts and you'll see what I mean Wink)
And, if they are buying locally - at any LFS - then they are not buying online. It's the online businesses that are really hurting the LFS, not our Club (or any other Club, for that matter)...

I agree that the WMAS should not "try" an associate itself with any one LFS - or any LFS, period. The integrity of the Club is much more important than any financial or public relations assistance LFS sponsorship would bring. I would never want to see our Club 'catering' to an LFS or 'sweeping under the rug' any bad traits of a particular LFS just because we want it as a sponsor. Or even "steering" our members or guests towards any particular LFS because it is a "WMAS Sponsor" and some other LFS is not. So far I have not come across any Reef Supply LFS here in the area that I would honestly call "bad"...but, if I did, I would expect to be allowed to present my opinion to that end here on this site - and not be censored or told "we don't badmouth our sponsors here" or some other unethical baloney.

All that being said, I believe that our local LFS can have a partnership with our Club that is beneficial to both entities, but does not compromise the integrity of either entity. If we work together  to grow this hobby, the 'fruits' of that partnership and cooperation will be available to all... 
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 1:51pm
Like I said before, this has been discussed many times in great detail. Both sides have valid points to stand on but most of it is just speculation.

My point is that we as a club should continue down the path described in the mission statement and if any LFS likes what we do and want to support us then good for them. We don't owe them anything and they don't owe us.

"The Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society (WMAS) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the support of the hobby of marine aquarium keeping. We believe in conservation of coral reefs by promoting captive breeding and propagation of marine creatures and developing natural marine environments for our specimens. We promote responsibility and education of marine hobbyists."
Jeff Rasmussen

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic