Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Naso Tang black spot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naso Tang black spot
    Posted: January 08 2003 at 5:36pm

Hello,

Quick Question, I have a large Naso tang that just today developed this strange black patern of dots on his face, and i'm wondering if I should be concerned

Tank specs are: 150g , 77 degres , amonia - 0 , nitrite - 0 , nitrate - 0 , ph 8.2ish , SG 1.022... Livestock: Naso 8 - 10" , Yellow 4" , Maroon clown 2" cleaner wrasse. 

Any suggestions?  Garlic?  Any ideas what it is...  He is eating like the sea cow he is so kinda wierd..

thanks

dan

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2003 at 9:19pm

Great picture!  Yes I say this is something to be concerned about.  My feeling is that Nasos are difficult (well, atleast not as easy as other tangs) to keep.  They do seem to face disease, almost always with the head and face.  I would suggest garlic or freshwater dip, or something if you can without stressing him out. 

I also think, but could be wrong, that a good diet is probably best.  As long as you are using seaweed or spirulina, or something like that, in addition to good frozen brine or krill and stuff.  Just my thoughts, but I do think this is a sign that he is facing problems if something isn't done. 

Curious to hear what everyone else has to say.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jared B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2003 at 11:18pm

To me, your salinity looks a little low.  At 77 degrees and with a specific gravity of 1.022, your ppt of salt is ~31.2.  Normal sea water varies from place to place, but is generally at about 35 - 38 ppt.  If you were to keep your temp at 77 degrees, you would need a specific gravity between 1.025 (35 ppt), and 1.027 (37.8 ppt) to achieve that.  From what I have read, fish can survive in other conditions, but will feel it in the long run. 

Here is a link on water temp. and salinity: http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/nov/features/1/default.asp

Dr. Shimek has done a great deal of research on the subject.

I am sure that diet and other stresses may play a part in what your fish is experiencing, but water quality may be where you would like to start.

Just my opinion - Jared.

DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 9:26pm

Is anybody else shocked with the temperatures in that article???? It looks like we should be in the 82-83 degree range or so...

What are the high and low temps of some of your aquariums? My low is 79.5 and my high (with the two 250W halides on) is 82.3

I always worried about having too high a temp - but it looks like I am right in the range?

Jared B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 10:05pm
I keep my temp at a pretty steady 81 with a specific gravity of between 1.025 and 1.026.  Good results with these parameters so far.
Jared B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 10:45pm

Forgot to mention that your temp. looks good to me.  Remember that there is a coorelation between temp. and specific gravity, so to achieve the 35 - 38 ppt salinity (like normal sea water) you will also need a specific gravity of between 1.025 and 1.026.  This would put you in the range of 35.6-36.9 at 79 degrees, and 36.3-37.6 at 82 degrees.  If you go back to the link I placed above, there is a salinity spreadsheet that plots specific gravity against temp. to give a salinity reading.

- Jared.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2003 at 9:52am

Arjen et al,

Don't forget that we aren't trying to replicate nature.  We are trying to do better.  Yes 83 or 84 degrees is very common.  But try keeping xenia at that temp, never happen.  Also, we aren't only dealing with coral, but fishes.  Lower the temp the better for fishes.  And the lower salinity the better as well.  So.... I say do whatever works for you.  Which for me is 76-78 degrees, with 1.023sg. 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2003 at 8:29pm

I like lower temperatures.

Jake

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2003 at 9:46pm

Dan,

First I want to know how you included the photo in your post!!  I have tried but have not been able to do that.

?How long have you had the fish?

?Have you adjusted anything or changed anything in the tank recently? In your next post, please include a photo of the interior of the tank so we can see the environment it is living in.

Without knowing any of the above, my first opinion is that it is either a temporary condition that will go away if the Tang is in a good environment or that it is an ordinary skin blemish.

I've had Yellow Tangs with dark brown splotches on their face and they were fine. On one of them it didn't go away for months so don't worry.

It's definitely not your temp or salinity. Those are fine. You guys are worrying too much about those parameters. What Ron's study tells me is that significant fluctuations occur so we need not worry so much about those levels. A fluctuation of 10% is no big deal even when almost immediate like dumping an organism into another tank without any acclimation.

FYI I never throw a fish into colder water but you can throw it into 10% warmer water without worry. Coral doesn't care. (ph is another matter though)

Regarding temp, we need to ask what happens when the temperature goes up. Metabolism goes up and dissolved oxygen goes down. This is why we keep our tanks at 75 - 80 degrees. We don't want the organisms to respirate too fast in an oxygen poor environment! That's unhealthy.

Mark

dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2003 at 6:50am

Thanks for all of the great ideas/suggestions...  2 days after this post everything cleared up on the NASO ... I have been mixing in Garlic with his calerpa for the past few feedings so not sure if that helped...  but the tank looks happy so I'm happy..    Maybe we should have a forum setup where we can post pics of our tanks I wouldn't mind seeing some other reefs to get some ideas for aquascaping..

Thanks

Dan

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2003 at 9:09am
If you look to your left and click on the "Gallery" button you will be able to see other WMAS members tanks and there are also the "Reef Tour Pics" that Jake was so kind to acquire and post.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2003 at 9:20am

Dan,

How did you put that image in your initial post?

Mark

dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2003 at 11:21am

I had to upload the picture to my website on my ISP (xmission.com) and then I used the image button that looks like a little tree in the tool button list next to the smiley and put the URL to the pic including the .jpg extension in and it just magically shows up..         I have some space on my site if anyone wants me to post them a pic it's no prob..

Thanks

Dan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic