Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Fish To Keep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Fish To Keep
    Posted: August 16 2007 at 10:16am
I clicked this link from sshm's sig line.... http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1157896
Does anybody else think that the list is way off?  I disagree with a ton of what is said in that first post (note- I didn't read the replies)

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 10:47am
I would disagree with about 40-50% of the species listed so I agree the list seems way off. The first 30 or so posts said "great" or "brilliant"

I probably just don't understand.

Mike

superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 11:25am
If we were to stick to that list there would be nothing left to keep... we'd all have to go back to goldfish...

The fact that I know nothing, and that I have kept a couple different species for months with no problem shows me that the list is flawed (examples, clown goby, devils hand, anemones...)

Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 12:44pm
when you use the term aquaria it make you sound smart WackoLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by bannshy bannshy wrote:

Hmmm. I'll make a note of it. Wink

bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 1:35pm
Which ones would you add/remove from the list? Just out of curiosity.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by bannshy bannshy wrote:

I have me a 120 gallon aquaria, which is coincidentatious since my wife was borned in January 28th and is an Aquaria too.

How smart am I?
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 1:56pm
I was thinking more along the lines of "If I need to know the facts aquaria. Otherwise keep your mouth shut!"

Mike

bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of "If I need to know the facts aquaria. Otherwise keep your mouth shut!"

Mike

LOL
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Jamison Jamison wrote:

How smart am I?

Now that is a loaded question!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 4:33pm
I agree with the list.
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 5:05pm

I agree with the initial "Fish that do not survive well". From my experience of trying to keep a few of those - I'd say it is right on.

The other list - "Fish best left to advance aquarists" it is pretty off. I dont agree with most of them.

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 7:10pm

I Guess I only looked at the first part, but there are a lot of fish that are best left to seasoned aquarists.  Newbies see $200 of fish die and quit the hobby.  Seasoned aquarists know this is the way things are. 

Also I think people like those in this club are the exception and not the rule.  People in this club want to know more and better ways to care for their tanks.  I think most people just think they are cool and want one that looks neat.  They have no desire to study how to care for the life in their tanks.  These people should stick with what just about anyone can do.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 8:11pm
I disagree with a lot of things over at RC... I am constantly 'at odds' with either their "Tang Police" or "Skimmer Patrol" or their  "RO / DI Gang" LOL

I do not believe you cannot succesfully keep a Tang in less than a 90g tank - or cannot put 2 in less than a 180g

I do not believe the only decent skimmers cost 500 bucks and up... or that you even need a skimmer at all

I do not believe a guy asking the RC board "what's a good RO/DI unit?" who posted his tap water had a TDS of 40 - out of the faucet - should be told he HAS to get a $450 Spectra Pure MaxCap system because "everything else is crap"...

I made the mistake of posting first reply to him that the $90 unit he saw on e-bay -same exact one I use with my TDS 220 Lehi tap and get TDS "0" out of -would be OK since his TDS was so low to start with...

ConfusedConfusedConfused you would have thought I told him to use raw sewage water, the flaming I got from the so-called "experts" ConfusedConfusedConfused

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 8:34pm
Either I'm lucky, got good specimens, or something. I've had a snake eel for almost a year. No problems at all. A ribbon eel for over 6 months, eats well.
155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)
adamschrage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamschrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 12:35pm

I would say it has a lot to do with the specimens and a lot of that has to do with the collectors and there handling of the fish. If you get your fish from a good collector you stand a better chance of getting a healthy fish to begin with. Some fish see a lot of holding tanks before getting to our LFS.

sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 4:25pm
Glad I got a discussion started. Will Spencer echoed my sentiments on this topic. And I dont think the list is way off, because the way the list is interpreted is subjective.

I think such a list is needed because it makes people think twice. And if that thinking gets them to do their own research and make a judgement about whether or not they think they can keep a specimen, then the list has served a purpose. Lists, rules and common sense have never stopped idiots before.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 4:28pm
Lists, rules and common sense have never stopped idiots before.

What a perfect saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 5:11pm
<bows> thank you thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic