Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish keep dying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yanitzu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanitzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish keep dying
    Posted: August 26 2007 at 12:59am
I have a second nano tank that I have had up for about 3 months, and every fish I put in it dies!  I have zoos and a few other corals that look great.  I just can't keep fish alive.  I think it may be ich, but I am not sure.  The fish get tiny white spots about a day after acc. them to the tank, and by the next day Nuke Dead.  I have tested the water and everything is good.

I thought about doing a large water change, and then waiting about a month before intoducing fish again.  Any other ideas?

-Justin
¤Clearfield, UT
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 9:03am
A large water change and waiting a month isn't a bad idea. What type of fish have you been losing and what is the source?

Are you certain the salinity is good?

Mike

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 9:44am
What size is the tank and what type of fish have you tried?
Jeff Rasmussen

yanitzu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanitzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 11:36am
Fish 4 U tested my water and everything looked good.  I have tried Damsels, blennies and false clowns.  I have peppermint shrimp, and an emerald crab that are still alive also.  If I do a large water change, how much should I change?  It is a 36 gal tank with about 40 lbs of LS and 40 lbs of LR.
-Justin
¤Clearfield, UT
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 11:50am
What is the history of the tank? Where did you get the sand/LR? How are you acclimating the fish?

If everything dies after the first day then I would do 25-50%. And another 25-50% within the next week. It sounds like you have some contaminated water.
Jeff Rasmussen

yanitzu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanitzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 11:58am
I bought the LR/LS from Aquatic Dreams.  50% water change is that going to be enough.  Could I do more and stiil keep the few corals I have alive?

Edited by yanitzu - August 26 2007 at 11:59am
-Justin
¤Clearfield, UT
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 12:09pm
I would start with 50% and then take it from there. I have never liked replacing more then that much water at a single time. If you do a series of 4 50% water changes over the next four weeks, anything in the tank should be pretty well diluted (as long as it is not coming from the sand or LR).    
Jeff Rasmussen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 12:17pm
I'm surprised you are losing fish and the crabs, shrimp and coral are doing well.

Mike

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 12:47am
If it happens to be Marine Velvet, it may take a long time before fish are safe.  However, there are fish that are fairly resistant to MV.  Please describe how the fish were acting before they died.  Were they swimming vertically, spinning, constantly rubbing, jerking....?
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
yanitzu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanitzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 9:49am
It looks alot like ich, but it could be MV.  I have seen some jerking, shooting acoss the tank and swimming vertically.  If it is MV how long should I wait to reintroduce fish, and why are the shrimp and crabs doing ok?
-Justin
¤Clearfield, UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 11:19am
If it is a fish disease that is killing your fish then that could explain why everything else is doing okay.

Mike

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 5:04pm

If it is MV, some people will tell you to take the tank apart and wait 6 months.  Myself, I waited about 4 months and started restocking.  Once it backfired and I lost all my fish again.  The other two times it was ok to wait those 4 months. 

Just keep what you have, dose with some garlic oil, and wait, wait, wait.
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
ecfarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 9:18am
did all your fish come from the same store?
yanitzu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanitzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 10:07am

Yes, they did.

-Justin
¤Clearfield, UT
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 10:16am
Originally posted by ecfarr ecfarr wrote:

did all your fish come from the same store?

My cousin has a 27 gal nano.  Every fish she put in there died.  She was also getting all her fish at one store.  She went to another store and bought a $5 damsel just to see if it would live.  It did. She tried other fish from the "new" store and they lived.  There was just obviously something going on with the fish at the first store. 
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
yanitzu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanitzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 3:09pm
That really pisses me off.  I wonder if it is the same store?
-Justin
¤Clearfield, UT
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 4:10am
what store
Blub Blub
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic