Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skimmer Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skimmer Question
    Posted: October 18 2007 at 10:32am
What is everyone doing with their skimmers to keep them functioning at full capacity??  My euro reef  is constantly growing "stuff" on the inside tube that really effects its performance.  I really hate that I have to mess with it all the time.  Any Suggestions??
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
H200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 11:25am
I haven't found a way around having to do a complete scrubbing every other month or so...
randy

210 gallon glass aquarium
90 gal Refuge.
900Gal Pond
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 11:36am
I have to clean mine once a month.  I hate doing it too.  It seems like when I clean it, it takes several days before it starts working again.  I've been toying with the idea of cleaning it while it is running with a bristle brush, and saving the real thorough cleanings for every 6 months or so.
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 11:40am
Plain dry paper towels once a week... crumple into a ball and push through the riser tube from the bottom up... use a stick or something (I use a chopstick myself) to push the paper towels through. You don't want the oil from your skin getting on the internal skimmer parts; that oil is what causes people to wonder why "I just cleaned my skimmer and now it won't work right..."  (like rstruhs just posted Wink)

Don't use soap for the same reason.

If you do this weekly you can push back the complete scrubbings to maybe once every 6 months or so - without losing skimmer performance.

Oh, and be sure to clean out your venturi airline at least once a week. It usually starts to clog with salt creep and you will notice lower "bubble" output inside your skimmer...

Edited by carlso63 - October 18 2007 at 11:41am
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 1:21pm
thanks,  I try to keep up on stuff, but it seems impossible.  I always see nice clean skimmers when i look at everyones stuff, but not mine Smile
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 1:45pm
I agree with Bob. I clean mine including the neck with clean dry paper towels and have no problems.

Mike

fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 3:56pm
Acerob, come look at mine.  I just give it the old 111 and give it a rinse when I empty the cup.  I figure I'll have to deep clean it next year some time, maybe earlier with the venturi.
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic