Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"live" rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "live" rock
    Posted: October 31 2007 at 5:30pm
how does everyone take utah rock or dead rock and make it "live" rock? 
Is there a way to get things to grow on it better or faster?  (like little feather dusters and sponges and coralline)
Thanks for any input
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 5:45pm
Well if you can get some that is seeded (like it's been in a sump for a while) it will take off just like normal live rock, at least in my experience.

If you don't have this luxury, just toss it in your main tank (thoroughly washed of course) and after oh a few months you won't notice a difference between it and "real" LR.  I honestly can't tell the difference between my Utah Rock and my LR.  They look exactly the same to me.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 8:45pm
my tank is mixed i took around 80 lbs of lr and then got some 40lbs or so of dead ut rock. i put them in my tank and i can't tell the difference now, they both have lots of life after only 2 or 3 months running.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by CrimsRayne CrimsRayne wrote:

how does everyone take utah rock or dead rock and make it "live" rock? 
Is there a way to get things to grow on it better or faster?  (like little feather dusters and sponges and coralline)
Thanks for any input

1) Buy maybe 5 lbs of 'good' LR from a LFS and add that to your pile of Utah Rock / "dead rock"

2) Wait 3 - 6 months

3) All your rock is now 'good' LR

4) Big%20smile

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
LordMaximo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordMaximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2007 at 10:14am
Hey cool post guys, thanks, I was wondering the same for myself.
My 7 year old boy wants me to get him a Manderine, so now I need to get a tank going with life to introduce the bugger to, this makes it a whole lot quicker to farm before the little prince.

Maximo

Trigger Master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic