Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoanthids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoanthids
    Posted: December 07 2007 at 11:51pm
I've always wanted to have some cool zoanthids, but I can never quite get the cools ones.  I always get just plain Jane stuff.  I finally figured out the secret to getting the cool ones.  Just wait a while until they really get going.  They will get cool if you are patient.

Danner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 12:16am

very nice man i love zoos

Ryan
Danner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 12:17am
oh and

hint hint

:P
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 1:17am
I think that alot of it has to do with water parameters.....I have found that when I add reef plus/phyto/ and do water changes, the color really comes out in the zoa's.......oh I also use some black powder, spectra vital.......I have a few zoa's

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 8:59am
Nice!

Mike

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 11:17am
Oh, I love zoos!  Great pictures and awesome corals. 

DebBig%20smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 11:45am
Nice pics.  Thumbs%20Up
btw If you want to get rid of the majano in the zoos I can help you with that.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by CrimsRayne CrimsRayne wrote:

Nice pics.  Thumbs%20Up
btw If you want to get rid of the majano in the zoos I can help you with that.

I have some on a star polyp rock i'd like to get rid of!!! let me know how
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 12:32pm
I've actually been pretty successful getting rid of the pest anemonies lately, but I've also been too busy to do it, or too lazy.
Kevin F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 1:00am
The eye of rah ones are quite nice in those photo's.

IME with 50 or 60 different speciesof zoo's is that they all do about the same, need the same cae, it's just the colorful ones are more expensive upfront. I farmed zoo's for a bit, got a frag of 5, grew it to ten, sold a frag of 5. It was fun, but if you start out with the ones you really want you'll be happier long term.

There are some great sites for the rarer zoo's, but you pay for the color.

JME
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. Albert Einstein
hammerhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammerhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 7:49am
How did you get rid of the pest anenomes? I have some I am trying to get rid of. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 12:23pm
I mix up a paste of Kalkwasser with hot water and lemon juice.  Then using a syringe without the needle I cover the pest in the solution.  (After turning off the water flow in the tank.)  I let them sit this way for about half and hour before turning the flow back on.  It seems to work for me if I literally bury the offender in the solution.  Simply feeding it to them or injecting them with the solution has never worked. 

This finally worked for me even on the Palythoa in the last pic which I consider a pest in my tank.

I've never been patient enough to continue use of this over and over until I get every last critter, but when they get out to hand I use it to control them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic