Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120 Stand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
clintc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clintc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120 Stand
    Posted: January 06 2008 at 4:04am
I'm finishing up a stand I got with my 120 G tank from Nate. I've noticed that some stands have a center brace under the tank and some don't. Not a verticle brace, but one from front to back at the top of the frame. The stand I have does not have this brace. I can still add one at this point, but was wondering if those of you who have built stands before have left this piece of framing off. Or does the bottom piece of glass need this support? The tank is an AGA 120 and the plastic frame on the bottom does have the center cross brace.

Thanks
Clint
Clint
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 9:10am
It depends on how you're building your stand, but generally All-Glass tanks don't need support in the center. That center plastic is there because All-Glass uses the same mold for the bottom as the top plastic trim.

Are you using 2x4 construction, or?
clintc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clintc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 1:00pm
2x4 frame w/ plywood and poplar skin. There are 2 2x4's in each corner.
Clint
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 2:24pm
The only thing a center support will provide is flexing of the front and back 2x4's. As long as the framing is true and square there is no need for it.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Wudan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 2:40pm
I built the framing for my stand with doubled up 2x4s in each corner as well and do not have center support.  The weight of the tank is distributed around the edge of the bottom frame.  The footprint of my tank is only 4' x 2' so I have something like 3'5" of open, indirectly supported area (the top frame acts like a structural beam, and transfers the weight to the legs.)  If it was much longer than that I would have added some kind of bracing, or used a 4x4 and had somebody cut it down for me ... or maybe a bunch of 2x4s running the length and creative bracing.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 6:29pm
the legs on that stand are actually california backed 2x4 s if I remember right (one 2x4 placed perpendicular to the other), and I forgot if I used 2x4s or 2x6s for the top pieces.  I was planing on using it as it was, figuring the same as Wudan that the dual 2x4's are actually taking all the weight transfer from the top frame.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
clintc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clintc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 12:43pm
You used 2x4s for the top frame. I wasn't worried about the 40" span so much as having the bottom piece of glass bow without the center brace being supported. Sounds like it's fine though. I'll post a pic of it soon. Hope to have water in it sometime this week
Clint
clintc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clintc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 2:43pm

Still need to do the doors and canopy, but almost done with the stand.

Edited by clintc - January 10 2008 at 2:44pm
Clint
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 6:52pm

That is looking great. I like the color!

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic