Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.03Actinic Or Super Actinic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .03Actinic Or Super Actinic
    Posted: February 10 2008 at 11:03pm
what is the difference in super actinic and .03 actinic any one know.

Edited by shipdawg - February 10 2008 at 11:05pm
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 11:19pm
I've never heard of 0.03 actinic before.  Can your provide the link to this light?

I think super actinic is just a label that people can use for anything.  To the best of my knowledge, there are generally two kinds of actinic: true actinic and blue actinic.  True actinic peaks at 420nm, emits a purple color.  Blue actinic peaks at 450nm and emits more of a blue color.  I've read that true actinic is better for corals.  In my experience, blue actinic seems to pop coral colors (especially the red and blue) more.
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 12:04am
The 03 Actinic is in reference to a true 420nm light.  I'm not sure what the Super Actinic is.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 7:55am
Actually, I thought it was the other way around - with the .03 being the "blue" 450 nm actinic and the 420 nm being the purple.

And bulbs sold as "super actinic" are usually also labeled as a 420 / 450 nm combination.

IMO the purple actinics (or the 420 / 450 nm combination) are the best for a reef aquarium application...

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 12:23am
If you are looking at UV Lighting Company "Super Actinic" tubes, they are a 420nm tube.  I have the spectral charts from the company in a computer file from them.

Current USA labels their 420nm tubes as 03 Actinic here:

What brands of tubes are you comparing?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic