Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 225g Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303132
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 9:25pm
OK, so I got a little bored with the whole "island of rock" look and went and redid the tank layout (again Wink)

I also was having some issues with blowing sand and a couple of corals not opening all the way; I am hoping the reaquascaping will address those issues.

The gyre thing worked pretty well - actually, a little too well... It was creating sand dunes in the tank and partially burying stuff, and exposing other parts of the sand bed.

Another downside to having a long, narrow and steep island "wall" was that it was hard to place corals without them being in the shadow of the rock wall... unless they were near the top of the rockwork.

Lastly, building a stand-alone rock island without any support or tank surface to lean on... well, things would fall down alot, especially when I tried to clean the front glass. There was only maybe 8 inches between the front of the island and the tank glass; trying to manuever the acrylic scrapers down to the sandbed line usually meant knocking something over and kicking up a sandstorm...

So, I went a little "retro" and used my single center overflow as the support for a single large rockpile right in the center of the tank... keeping an eye on not placing any rock too close to the front glass, or the side panels either. Plenty of swimming room on both sides of the rockpile.

I think it turned out OK:

I have (3) Koralias coming off the overflow; right now (2) # 4s and a # 3, but I will go to all # 4s once i find a flow nozzle for the middle #4 - without the nozzle there is too much "splash" against the water surface and it is rather noisy... also have (2) Koralia # 3s; 1 near the bottom corner on each side... I tried going without, but started getting a littel cyano in the front and rear corners of the tank. I turned the corner Koralias upsdie down so the power cord goes down in to the sand bed, instead of up the back wall of the tank. I routed all the wiring so that most of it is hidden under sand or behind rock. Makes for a neater - looking setup, I think...

I really have to get a better camera... these shots look plain "dull" compared to the tank in person. Way too subdued; no "shimmer", too much washed out colors.

Anyway, here is the front view in sections:

Some of the corals are still a little unhappy at being moved (like that big Toadstool Leather and the Duncans), but things are settling in nicely.

From the sides, you can see there is still plenty of open space for the Tangs to swim around:

Corals are coming along nicely... have a few new ones since last time (I think):

A nice Blastomussa colony

Some purple Acans

A decent sized Pavona colony

Some Blue Candycanes to go with the blue-green ones I already had:

Everybody else is doing great!

Remember these bleached-out Hammer Corals that I salvaged from a KSL ad tank being torn down a couple months back?

Well, look at them now Clap -

Will's Gorgonian has opened up nicely

Electric - green Trachy looks sharp

Red / Green Open Brain is fluffed out

These 2 famous jbutler Acan colonies are doing fabulously

The Sunset Monti is going strong, fully polyped out and starting to grow over the live rock - but the Superman (Spiderman?) part is shrinking away... not sure why Confused

Blue/green Candys are holding there own

Orange Fungia and Gold Torch are both doing fine

Yellow scroll contrasts nicely with Bronze Kenya Tree

Monti Cap is not only getting wider, it is getting thicker on the rim

"Frag station" has the Purple Milli, Meteor Shower, Green Eye Favia and Tri Color frags all doing well

"Clamenza"  is still HUUUUGE

This Yellow Acro is really more yellow - green, but still pretty neat

This Acro I got from Steve (CapnMorgan) at the Fragging Demo back in October... at the time it was mostly brown with a little pale green on the tips. Now it has colored up to a really nice semi - neon green most of the way down all the branches

Neon Green Candys

And, of course - the Scoly Brothers

All waaay better in person... Santa has to bring me a better camera Wink

I also did a 40 g water change over the weekend (first one in 3 months Ouch); I have been changing out the carbon in the reactor regularly, though (every 2 weeks)...

Tested my parameters and here is what I got:

SG =        1.0255
Temp =    76.0 - 78.4 (24 hr cycle)
pH =         8.1
dKH =       10.5
nH3 =       0
nO2 =       0
nO3 =       0
pO4 =       0
Ca =         420 ppm
Mg =         1360 pm
Io  =          0.30 ppm

The only casualty I had was Chad's big yellow Fungia Plate Unhappy... I t was fine for about 2 weeks - I even fed it chopped silversides twice - then it just basically RTNed overnight... Woke up one morning to skeleton...

I saved the skeleton up near the top middle to see if any babies regenerate out of it. Hey, you never know...

Otherwise, things are looking pretty good Big smile

ClapClapClap

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 10:01pm
Looking awesome Bob! I really like the new rock work. I think it gives the tank a whole new look. Really nice corals btw!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 10:19pm
I was wondering how often you do water changes? and how much?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 10:20pm
About 35 - 40g every other month (if I have the time)

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 11:36pm
I really like the new rockwork!! Looks great!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 12:17am
Bob keep that Fungia plate in the tank.

I read a thread a few weeks back about a guy who lost his fungia and after some time it sprouted off like 100 babies for him! People were discussing ideas that that was how they propagated themselves.

I am sure you have seen the thread!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 12:24am
Yep, that is what I was thinking...

Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 12:36am
Nice work with your tank!  Keep up the good work.
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 1:02am
Looks like matrix aquascaping.  Awesome!!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 10:08am
I think it looks great ! I love the new look and the corals are all amazing! Questions: Do you have room behind the rocks for the fish to swim in and out of? Just curious also the flow nozels.... do those help I thought about getting some but worried that they would just keep the flow in a very narrow stream?

All in all though it looks great!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 12:07pm
Looks great, love the new aquascape!

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 10:53pm
I guess most of you reading this already know that I sold this sytem about a month ago Shocked

Chad (Superchud) and Jerry from Marine Aquatics came with a trailer and took it away...

I hope Chad is having as much fun with it as I did...

Now all that is left is this:

But, all is not lost.

Keep your eyes peeled for something new from me..?

ClapClapClap

vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 7:58am
You will have to be creative to best what you did.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 9:02pm
I went and searched out this thread for Mac and then I thought - for old time's sake - I'd bump it back up to give all our new Members a chance to read the longest Build Thread in WMAS history  Beer

Hve fun, guys!

builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 11:58am
Beautiful piece of Art Work...Thumbs Up
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Utard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 12:23am
Through out the life of this tank where you happy with the plenum setup?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 7:35am
Yes. After the first 10 days or so, I never had any detectable nitrates for the remainder of time the tank was running, despite a fairly heavy bioload at times.

And when the tank was torn down I recall  Chad commenting on how 'clean' the lower portion of the sandbed looked, how there was no smells, etc.

The only reason I did not go with a plenum on my current 93 Cube system is that I went with a shallow sandbed (2" - 3") and a finer grade of sand, since I wanted to keep more wrasses in this setup.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 7:26am
Bumping up this 'golden oldie' for all the newbies to read... look for my newest Tank Thread " The New 90" coming soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303132
  Share Topic