Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tailspot Blenny

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tailspot Blenny
    Posted: May 13 2008 at 10:04pm
I know there are a few people on here who have experience with these fish. I have read that they are very peaceful and easily intimidated. Would it get lost in a 65g? I mean, would I ever see it? Also, one website lists them as reef safe "with caution" and I have read that blennies in general will/can nip at clams. What is your experience with this blenny in particular? Because I am hoping to keep a clam.

Also, could I have a tailspot & a starry blenny in a 65g? I read that the starry blenny would be aggressive to other blennies with the same body shape, like lawnmowers and red-spotted blennies.

Thanks in advance for your help. Trying to pick my next fish.
90g Reef
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:05pm
I think they are awesome and are one of my favorite fish. They are small though so they might not be too visible in the 65. They will definitely not get along with another herbivorous bottom dwelling blenny like a lawnmower blenny or stary blenny other than that they are very peaceful. I don't have a clam but normally blennys don't bother them. It is just the rare blenny that will nip at the clam's mantle.

Mike

CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 10:33am
I had a pair in a 5g frag tank for a couple months.  They are really neat to watch.  For some reason the larger one jumped out through the only hole in the hood that was less than an inch.  Cry
But I still have the other one and he's very neat.  He comes out to eat the little bits of food I give him and swims around happily.  I wouldn't recommend them for a big tank as they are very small and somewhat skittish.  One of the reason I have so many tanks is that I love blennies but they don't always get along with one another or the other tankmates.
As for clams, I have a lawnmower and a clam in the same 120g reef and he doesn't even go near it.  One of the troubles with lawnmowers is that they can pick up and move corals too.  I've fought many battles with mine over coral placement.  You have to compromise with them and give them their space, which happens to be at least 50% of the tank.  LOL
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 3:03pm
I have a tailspot and a lawnmower in my cube.  The tailspot is my favorite fish.  He is out a lot and has a great personality.  I think the lawnmower is going to go soon though.  Neither one nips at my clam and they both get along with everyone else including each other.  The lawnmower has crossed bounderies with the jawfish several times and has been chased off.  Other than that, no incidents at all.

Here's a pic.

Edited by jpndave - May 14 2008 at 3:21pm
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 3:32pm
I love how photogenic they are.  Thumbs%20Up nice pics
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 4:26pm
Oooooh, I love him! Where did you get yours from? LiveAquaria had them in stock this morning, and I have credit there... The last fish I ordered from there didn't make it, so I worry though.
90g Reef
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 5:08pm
They are definitely photogenic. I got mine from Bruce at Ewald's Reef.

Mike

Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 7:10am
I got both of mine from Foster and Smith and they are doing great.
I have one in a 29 gallon and one in a 210.
The one in the 210 is very visible, he makes sure of it! He is always upfront and has never touched my clams.
The one in the 29 gallon beats up my pygmy angel though..............

Edited by Tresa - May 15 2008 at 7:11am
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 11:05am
Mine came from Liveaquaria (Foster & Smith)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic