Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tang Compatibility Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tang Compatibility Question
    Posted: March 08 2003 at 9:48pm

I currently have a Yellow and Blue Tang and would like to add a Purple Tang to the mix.  Has anybody had a Tang mix close to this?  I’m not really worried about the Blue Tang mixing well but the Yellow is very similar to a purple (other than color).  My tank is 75 gallons so the space is rather limited for a fish to escape harassment...

Danny Lueck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Lueck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2003 at 11:26pm
I have a Yellow and a Purple tang.  The Yellow tang I had for about 3 weeks prior to getting the Purple.  They seem to be ok together except for the Tail whipping here and there.  They seem to be ok now.  Never have they really fought, Yellow was just letting the Purple know he was in charge thats all.  Hope that helps!  Good luck
"Ask not what your REEF TANK can do for you!!"

[email protected]
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2003 at 9:18am
I have a blue hippo and a purple tang.  They also do the wipping thing but never anything serious.  I figure you might be ok.  The purple tangs have always been able to stick up for themselves, just make sure he is equal or maybe greater in size is my only advise.
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2003 at 10:08am

I owned a blue tang, and added a yellow tang, and Scopus tang on the same day (to avoid any conflicts) to a 75 gallon tank that I have. It didn't work out. The Scopus killed the Yellow within a couple of days. I ended up removing the scopus (which has a similar temperment to the purple tang,) days after purchasing him. Be prepared to remove one or the other. I now have three small yellow tangs, and 1 blue. The yellow's leave the blue alone completely. It is best to keep the same color/type of tang in odd numbers to prevent them from picking each other off. Even with three of them however, they still harass each other here and there.

My personal experience is that if there's any fear in your mind about compatibility, those fears will usually become a reality if you chose to do it anyway. Best not to do it, and save yourself money, and the hassle.

My 2 cents

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic