Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moorish Idols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
dca22anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dca22anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 10:45pm
Adam...Thanks for the information...one of my favorite fish...great piece. Do you of anyone who has kept a pair in a home aquarium?

Thanks for sharing!
Dave Anderson
Saratoga Springs, UT
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 2:10am
there is a guy on reefcentral that has a trio in a tank
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
dca22anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dca22anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 11:05pm
Thanks cl2ysta1! I'll check it out
Dave Anderson
Saratoga Springs, UT
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 8:01am
here is the idol thread on RC. you will see MANY people are successful with these guys

I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 8:52am
you will see MANY people are successful with these guys
Don't say that too loud.  Otherwise you'll start getting pm's.   Wink
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by cl2ysta1 cl2ysta1 wrote:

here is the idol thread on RC. you will see MANY people are successful with these guys

The thread features "Paul B" - he is the guy I mentioned earlier who lives on Long Island (like I used to) and feeds his Idol sponges he harvests from local waters and banana - his Reef tank has been up and running for almost 35 years straight ShockedShockedShocked I quite possibly sold him some of his reef stuff when I was a teenager at my first job ever!

You think I'm bad with my "old school" plenums? Paul runs a reverse flow UGF with dolomite gravel - and he has a couple of old, algae covered beer bottles in his tank!

And he had a "cusk eel" (that's a type of brotula, right?) that lived for 18 years Thumbs%20Up

He's a nice guy and it's a great read Big%20smile

Edited by carlso63 - October 13 2008 at 8:49pm
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 9:53pm
I was just reading Paul's stuff the past couple days, Just goes to show that many old school methods are very successful , but I really  admire his perseverance and dedication to the hobby,
He only runs his reverse UGF at less than 50 GPH, so its effectively a plenum, he just started doing that before it was coined plenum
Oh yeah he also has used long island harbor water in his reef tanks since 1968, ha and we worry about if our DI resin is going bad, just goes to show how hardy many corals are.
Even though his methods are old school he has always ran a protein skimmer and Ozone, which I'm sure is part of his success
I laughed when he said he did his "every 25 year" gravel cleaning a few years back....

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by dew2loud1 dew2loud1 wrote:

He only runs his reverse UGF at less than 50 GPH, so its effectively a plenum, he just started doing that before it was coined plenum

Kyle - I'm so glad you pointed out that one of the longest running (private) aquariums in the country uses SPT (Superior Plenum Technology) so I didn't have to Tongue

And 35+ years without a sandbed "crash"... let's see the DSB guys top that! Wink

My first plenum was just a UGF that had one of the lift tubes knocked out of its hole and the tube hole had filled in with sand so I couldn't put it back in. Then I went and pulled the other side lift tube out because with the 1 tube it looked "uneven" LOL so only the plate was left under the sandbed. I didn't want to pull that out because I figured it would turn the water all cloudy to do it, so I just left it in...

I remember that a couple of months later I started getting "0" nO3 readings and at first just figured my test kit went bad or something

I didn't even start with the eggcrate plenums until maybe 10 years ago... before that I would just buy UGFs and toss out the lift tubes LOL

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic