Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review forum
    Posted: September 29 2008 at 5:24pm
Coming from a paintball forum to here I have been very impressed. The members here have been amazing. They took about 5 min after my very first post to invite me into their homes to come learn about their tanks. I was able to take a mini reef tour on Friday night and saw 12 tanks in 3 dif places. But the one thing I do miss is the review forum. My paintball forum had a seperate forum for each type of gear. So we could do a lighting, tank, and filtration one for example. But it allowed people to go in and see what type of expirience others had had with different gear. Do you guys think this would be benificial here?
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 6:10pm
I think it's a great idea Thumbs%20Up
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 7:31pm
It has been suggested before and reviewed, but not with gusto. I've always wanted something like that, but haven't got the $$$ to make it useful.
vbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 11:46am
What do you mean you dont have the cash? Does it cost money to add a new sub forum? Maybe my original post was misleading. There would not be an entire seperate forum for each one. Just another section like we have our lighting and filtration in seperate areas. Then those that have a piece of equipment can go in there and make a post saying how that piece is doing and whether or not it was a good value.
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 12:38pm
Actually, It might be nice to write a review of a piece of equipment and submit it to the "Sea Star" publication.

I like the ability to share experiences with others, but my concern (not necessarily the presidency's) is:  human nature is to share bad experience more often than good.  I would hate to see it turn to a "bash" forum.

But, rest assured, the presidency will discuss this.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
vbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 1:03pm
Ya I have seen that happen but I have seen much more good things than bad. And this community seems very mature. The big thing that would help is for us new guys, we dont really know whats available. This would open us up to other possibilities and keep us from wasting our money on things that we dont need.
Aaron Ferre
New guy with a keyboard, watch out!!!
54g custom bowfront
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 1:05pm
I meant that the way to make it useful is to have the the equipment tested by one person or group, which costs money.  I agree with Shawn in his post above, and this is why I don't have the money nor the clout in the industry to make it useful.  Steven Pro does reviews of equipment, though.

By the way, my views on this do not represent the whole presidency. 
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 2:27pm
vbg (and others),  the presidency really appreciates your suggestions and look forward to more.  Thanks.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
vbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 2:48pm

Well that type of proffesional review would be awesome. But I am just thinking a simpler one done by members that have used that specific item.

And to reference this is the website I used as a paintballer. http://www.pbnation.com/

Edited by vbg - September 30 2008 at 2:51pm
Aaron Ferre
New guy with a keyboard, watch out!!!
54g custom bowfront
KludgeGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KludgeGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 3:59pm
I really like the idea of a separate review section.  There are a lot of people out there with a great variety of equipment which could be reviewed...not sure if people would take the initiative to write a review on their equipment though.  I think part of the challenge would be finding a good way to search for the specific equipment to see if it has been reviewed.  The forum search engine could work but I haven't been to impressed with it when I have used it.

Ideally something like the www.newegg.com review system where you search for a piece of equipment and then easily find reviews of people that have used it.  Maybe even a star system.  But this is probably too complicated for the WMAS forums.  Confused  Unless there is some soft of plugin available for the forums with similar features.
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 10:54pm
I think it's an awesome idea too!  Especially if we can sticky the Eco AquaLizer! LOL
Pleasant Grove
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic