Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New fish fresh water dip?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skimace7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimace7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New fish fresh water dip?
    Posted: November 11 2008 at 12:17pm
I have some new fish I just got from Saltwaterfish.com and have heard about doing a fresh water dip? What exactly is that? What are the rules I need to follow when I do one? any advce would be appreciated..Smile

thanks
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 12:23pm
You need to get RO water and heat it up to the same temp as the tank. Float the fish in the RO water until their temps are even. You are going to want to put some PH 8.3 in the freshwater so that they don't go into PH shock. Make sure the temp and ph are all the same. You will than put the fish in the RO for a few minutes. If the fish shows signs of distress remove it immedietly and make sure you are running an airstone in it. Afterwards dip it out and put it in your tank..

freshwater dips kill ich, flukes and a few other parasites.

Honestly if you are worried I would rather QT the fish than freshwater dip it after a long trip in the mail.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 12:35pm
Match the water pH and temp. Acclimate first. Put the fish in the fresh for 5-7 mins. Then into your tank. That's just what I've done with success.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 12:37pm
Crystal beat me and made a very good point about QT.
skimace7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimace7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 5:30pm
thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic